African dwarf frogs are breeding.

The biggest tads now look like frogs 🥰The tads slow down as I dim the light. They also make their way to float in the plants at night. So far I count somewhere between 20-25. They often float among the plants during the day so very hard to get an accurate count. I have seen zero losses since relocating them to a grow out. This does not mean the largest did not consume a few tiny ones only I have seen none that perished. 

• Love 3

On 9/6/2023 at 1:36 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

That’s so cool! Are they going back in with the parents? 

No. The parents are only in a 10 gallon and there are 4 already. I will keep 1 if my babies. I’m so tempted to make the 10 that sits beside the parents into a second frog tank so I can keep some more of my babies though. I’m so in love with my frogs it’s crazy. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering getting my first frogs.  Still undecided! 

I have a question, though, that I'm sure has an obvious answer that I'm just not getting.  With all this trouble protecting the eggs, protecting the tadpoles, etc; why don't breeders just move the adults to another tank and leave the eggs and tadpoles alone?  Sounds so much easier!

@TOtrees @Guppysnail

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, Flipper said:

why don't breeders just move the adults to another tank and leave the eggs and tadpoles alone?

If you have another tank ready to go, sure. I’d go the other way though and move the eggs. Eggs/tads need water, food, and water changes. Adults need a more… furnished setup. @Guppysnail went with a single tank, and I’m sure a lot of egg/tads were lost. But no extra tank needed. Both methods work. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, TOtrees said:

If you have another tank ready to go, sure. I’d go the other way though and move the eggs. Eggs/tads need water, food, and water changes. Adults need a more… furnished setup. @Guppysnail went with a single tank, and I’m sure a lot of egg/tads were lost. But no extra tank needed. Both methods work. 

I did finally set the tads up in another tank.  I was not prepared when they mated.  I really thought they were too young. 

I only gave mine hornwort floating and a tiny piece of mopani with a nana petite anubias. 

On 9/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, Flipper said:

I'm considering getting my first frogs.  Still undecided! 

I have a question, though, that I'm sure has an obvious answer that I'm just not getting.  With all this trouble protecting the eggs, protecting the tadpoles, etc; why don't breeders just move the adults to another tank and leave the eggs and tadpoles alone?  Sounds so much easier!

@TOtrees @Guppysnail

My frogs are in a well established tank. Substrate plants wood etc. to leave the tads there in the larger tank they would have needed to hunt much harder to get food. This way worms littered the bare bottom and were easy to find. I did not need to worry if all of them were getting enough to eat. 

I also did small water changes every day. And it did not seem fair to remove my frogs who were happy enough to breed in their home to a tank not designed for their comfort. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

it did not seem fair to remove my frogs who were happy enough to breed in their home to a tank not designed for their comfort. 

Oh, I feel bad now.  I meant no disrespect.  Absolutely true what GuppySnail said about not moving perfectly happy, established frogs. I didn't even think about that!  I was looking at all that hard work and trying to figure out an easier way.

I care for my mother with dementia, I'm not a spring chicken anymore and my aquarium hobby keeps me sane.  But I get so tired maintaining just 2 small tanks.  Plus I have bad shoulders.  But, we all know it's a lot of work when we start this hobby, huh?!!!  😉

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 9:09 PM, Flipper said:

Oh, I feel bad now.  I meant no disrespect.  Absolutely true what GuppySnail said about not moving perfectly happy, established frogs. I didn't even think about that!  I was looking at all that hard work and trying to figure out an easier way.

I care for my mother with dementia, I'm not a spring chicken anymore and my aquarium hobby keeps me sane.  But I get so tired maintaining just 2 small tanks.  Plus I have bad shoulders.  But, we all know it's a lot of work when we start this hobby, huh?!!!  😉

I in no way took that as being disrespectful. I have a group of CPD I’m going to start breeding again. Once they grow to breeding age and litter the tank with some eggs I do intend to move them exactly as you suggested with the frogs. 
With them it’s just different because the frogs are my pets not a breeding project. They just ended up breeding 🤗

On 9/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have a group of CPD I’m going to start breeding again.

Thanks for your kind reply.  When I was still a newbie to aquariums, I bought 10 CPDs.  Gosh, they are beautiful!  They were so tiny, must have just been born, and all were dead within 2 days.  It was sad 😔  I may try them again sometime.

I love your signature thingy:  "The smartest man alive is the one who asks for help when he does not know something."  😉

That is comforting in this complicated hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

They shed ?!?

They look a lot like a ghost! 👻 👻👻

They sure do. They shed as they grow. The adults do not shed near as often but occasionally shed to refresh their skin. 
Humans shed skin cells all the time. Frogs just do it all at once. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do all your frogs like to have caves and other places to hide? Now that you’ve had them for a while, do they seem smarter than so many places I’ve read that they’re not very smart? It just seems to me that they manage fine in the wilds, so they can’t be totally dumb!

It must be a very interesting tank to watch with so many of them! 😃

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:45 PM, Pokey said:

Do all your frogs like to have caves and other places to hide? Now that you’ve had them for a while, do they seem smarter than so many places I’ve read that they’re not very smart? It just seems to me that they manage fine in the wilds, so they can’t be totally dumb!

It must be a very interesting tank to watch with so many of them! 😃

They are not dumb just cautious. They recognize me and come running for food. They don’t fear my hand anymore. Their eyesight is not as bad as poor people say but not stellar. Mine don’t recognize anything not moving as food. 
They love anywhere they can tuck themselves in. They are very vulnerable to any predator so it makes them feel safe. 

• Like 1