Snails don't like tank

Jackson

I have a 2.5 g and a 1.5 g . I put snails  into them and they tend to go right up to the top of the tank . Right to the waters edge . The parameters are good . 0 nitrate , 7.2 ph and 0 ammonia . For some reason they act different in the micro's than my 10g where they motor all around cleaning up .  There is algae for them to eat . I dropped my 1.5g and will use it for hospital . Acclimation wasn't the best but it should be up to cleaning up . Three time I put snails in them they just act weird .

It seems to be settling down and going to work . Just weird having the snails acting like they do in the micro's . Tank has very little algae on the glass . No clean up crew in the 2.5 till now as of no real need . been 6 months .

On 7/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, Lennie said:

Both of those tank sizes are extremely small for a contant grazer that accepts no food. I don't think it would work in the long term, likely they will starve

Just want him to tidy up a bit . Then put it back in the 10 . This 2.5 doesn't have any big algae problem . Could give it a pellet if I keep it in longer, most likely put him back when it is done . It is staying under now , looks like it cleaned up one side . 

On 7/21/2023 at 10:07 AM, Mary W. said:

Nerites do that - seems they like to breath air.  

They always stay below the water line in my 10 .. They are very good at keeping my tank clean . So the behavior they show in the micros is odd compared to what I am use to seeing .

On 7/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, Lennie said:

Both of those tank sizes are extremely small for a contant grazer that accepts no food. I don't think it would work in the long term, likely they will starve

It could work if you feed powdered algae-based foods (such as Repashy soilent green) that will coat the walls and objects.  Also bacter AE is a good once-a-week thing. You are only going to need a tiny amount of that (bacter ae) for your tank volume, like, tip of a toothpick. The Repashy soilent green can be a small pinch released under the surface.

Nerites enjoy fresh air also.  That's just something they do.  I keep a dropped water line for my various snails so they can go up there and do what they'd like to do.  Last week, my zebra nerite climbed out of the water on the airline and stayed there for 2 days eating the slime off of it and just chillin.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1