How do y'all like to use PraziPro?

dangerflower

I'm trying to use PraziPro to treat some suspected internal parasites in my ricefish that I keep in an outdoor 20 gallon mini pond. Since they live outside, they're generally more susceptible to parasites, and I've seen some white poop and also a few of them are looking thin or stunted. The directions on the bottle of PraziPro are somewhat vague, and I've been searching around the internet and the forum for clarification and coming up with some conflicting info, so I thought I'd ask how folks here prefer to use this medication. I've only used Paracleanse in the past. The directions I'm seeing seem to suggest both that a single dose/treatment should go for 5-7 days, and that the water should be dosed again every 72 hours. 🤔 I just don't want to under- or over-medicate. 

How often do you wait between doses? How many treatments are necessary to fully eradicate internal parasites? I know with paracleanse you do at least two treatments two weeks apart to account for any new parasite eggs that have hatched, and since they are similar medications, I would have expected something similar with prazipro

Thanks in advance!

I used it with shrimp and I did 7 days on, 3 days off, and I did another 2 rounds just like that. So 3 treatments total. It’s thick so you’ll want to shake the heck out of the bottle, measure it, then shake the dose up in a bottle of pond water and pour that in.

After each treatment I would do a 50% water change. Then after the 3 days I would change the other 50% and redose. I hung a carbon media bag in the tank between treatments also.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can add a dose of prazipro on day one leave it for 7 days then do two 50 % water  change over next 2 days then redose the prazipro for another 7 days then repeat the water changes and redose it can take a minimum of 4 treatment with prazipro if your not seeing much improvement after a couple of treatment then I would start to treat with Fritz Expel p active ingredient is levamisole once a week for 3 weeks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, dangerflower said:

The directions on the bottle of PraziPro are somewhat vague, and I've been searching around the internet and the forum for clarification and coming up with some conflicting info

Well... I follow what is on the bottle itself. It's a tried and true method and it's pretty straightforward in my view.

Start each treament or retreatment with as large a water change as practical (at least 30%) or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with Ultimate® or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X® and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Do not stop filtration, but remove activated carbon and stop foam-fractionation (protein skimming) and UV sterilization-failure to do so will render product ineffective. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY before use. Measure Liquid PraziPro® at the rate of one (1) teaspoon (~5mL) per 20 (76L) gallons of water to be treated (one [1] fl. oz. [29.5 mL] per 120 gallons [454L]). Care should be taken to treat the exact amount of water in the system. This means deductions for substrate, rock or coral and any other internal equipment is necessary. You can calculate the amount of water in your aquarium by taking a measurement of the length x width x depth of the area with water and dividing by 231 for approximate volume. This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the pond or aquarium or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days may be sufficient. Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely. Do not use with any other drugs or disease treatments. May cause noticeable temporary foaming. It's important to note that most parasites in the class that PraziPro® would be used for have up to a 28 day life cycle. This means for major issues, up to four (4), uninterrupted treatments may be required to resolve the issue. Over dosing will not speed impact.

1.  Before dosing any meds, clean the tank, minimum 30% water change.
2.  Remove carbon, skimmer, or UV.
3.  SHAKE VIGIROUSLY.  (way more than you think you should)
4.  Dose into a high flow section, 5 mL per 20G of water.
5.  Calculate the volume of water appropriately by measuring to exclude substrate. (top of substrate to the waterline)
6.  Do no overdose.

1 Treatment is 5-7 days, do not use it any more often than every 3 days.  Meaning, the minimum you should be doing is 5 days per dose, followed by a 30% water change.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Well... I follow what is on the bottle itself. It's a tried and true method and it's pretty straightforward in my view.

1.  Before dosing any meds, clean the tank, minimum 30% water change.
2.  Remove carbon, skimmer, or UV.
3.  SHAKE VIGIROUSLY.  (way more than you think you should)
4.  Dose into a high flow section, 5 mL per 20G of water.
5.  Calculate the volume of water appropriately by measuring to exclude substrate. (top of substrate to the waterline)
6.  Do no overdose.

1 Treatment is 5-7 days, do not use it any more often than every 3 days.  Meaning, the minimum you should be doing is 5 days per dose, followed by a 30% water change.

Also add extra air, for sure!  I forgot to mention it earlier!  I shake the bottle for 1 minute. If your arm gets sore, you're doing it right. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 2

Got it, thanks everyone!

Is it recommended to reduce feeding while treating with this medication, to help starve the parasites? I know that's usually recommended with paracleanse. A few of these fish are looking so skinny that the idea of not feeding makes me nervous. 

On 7/20/2023 at 6:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also add extra air, for sure!  I forgot to mention it earlier!  I shake the bottle for 1 minute. If your arm gets sore, you're doing it right. 

Haha, good to know! I had already added the first dose by the time I saw this and I probably did not shake it enough, whoops. I think I did like a 30 second shake.