Nano Tank Journal - 20 long

Sherry

Well, I did a 30% water change on the QT tank. By the way the snails look, I would swear they are dead, but the ones I pick out don’t smell.

I have mom and dad snail and two offspring in my 20, which is sitting right beside the QT. They are doing fine. Mom, dad and one baby were in the QT and when things started looking weird I pulled them out.

Last night I was poking at one of the snails in the QT… it looked like it moved. I put it in the 20. It is laying half hanging out but it still responds to stimulus. It’s like it is in a stupor. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I found an internet article saying that at about 70 degrees F or cooler, Mystery Snails can go into a state called torpor. I’m guessing that’s what happened. Live and learn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/25/2024 at 3:19 PM, Sherry said:

Well, I did a 30% water change on the QT tank. By the way the snails look, I would swear they are dead, but the ones I pick out don’t smell.

I have mom and dad snail and two offspring in my 20, which is sitting right beside the QT. They are doing fine. Mom, dad and one baby were in the QT and when things started looking weird I pulled them out.

Last night I was poking at one of the snails in the QT… it looked like it moved. I put it in the 20. It is laying half hanging out but it still responds to stimulus. It’s like it is in a stupor. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I found an internet article saying that at about 70 degrees F or cooler, Mystery Snails can go into a state called torpor. I’m guessing that’s what happened. Live and learn.

I thought you recently added a heater?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 1/25/2024 at 5:42 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

No change in behavior I guess since adding that? 

No. I thought they would recover quicker. I’ll do another 1/3 water change tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/25/2024 at 8:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Aw bummer. Fingers crossed for the little ones!

I have started testing the snails. If I gently pull on the Operculum, and the body comes out of the shell, I assume that snail is dead, right?

On 1/25/2024 at 11:24 PM, Sherry said:

I have started testing the snails. If I gently pull on the Operculum, and the body comes out of the shell, I assume that snail is dead, right?

Yes, also you will see a lot of empty space inside the shell around the snail (the body shrinks) 😭

If you have any that are questionable, remove them to a small bowl of tank water or something and check back every 15 min for movement. Gives them a chance if it’s just lethargy but if they have passed they will not pollute your tank.

On 1/22/2024 at 6:50 PM, Sherry said:

No ammonia detected.IMG_6470.jpeg.d79fa13e2abf7479fdedcdabaf836c7e.jpeg

Have you retested kH, laying the strip on a clean towel vs a hard surface? I don’t know why you get blue repeatedly on that test unless it relates to that bleeding effect in the video @nabokovfan87 shared.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

I’ve done all I can. I took out all the snails from the QT, then vacuumed the gravel and replaced the water. There were about 20 small snails - about 10 were died. Still no movement in the others. Four in the 20 gal are doing fine - the last one I put in yesterday was floating this morning so I put it back in the QT.

My kH test on the 20 gal still came out an odd color, so I put a Wondershell in both tanks. I had hoped the crushed coral I put in the substrate would keep the calcium levels in the water at a good place. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t had much news until now.

All the snails in the QT perished. Right now it is serving as a plant nursery.

The four snails in the 20L are doing fine, even laying clutches on the glass lid. This leads me to a question. Overnight some white balls appeared in one place (see photo). Later I realized someone had laid a clutch directly above this. Any ideas?IMG_6569.jpeg.328067131a5201c71d7b472e555812df.jpeg

The WCMM is mainly for size perspective. When I looked at the photos, it looks like there is a transparent casing around each of them.

IMG_6572.jpeg.141ee4cac70f450abf368db47d47a044.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

Sometimes the girls release suction from the surface they are on and fall in the water while still having a few eggs attached to them or not yet laid. This is normal. Just remove them. 

Sorry you lost your little ones. 

Thank you

Here’s three of the four.

IMG_6574.jpeg.2a4b330ac29876fd276687e542b8d1e3.jpeg

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I will be moving in May, and I thought I would use the tank strip down to change my substrate.

The rocks I have are dragon stone and red lava rock mostly. I want some natural light color gravel. I originally put in white sand with gravel — all mixed together now. I don’t like vacuuming up sand, but I want smooth gravel so rough stuff won’t hurt my Pygmy Corydoras. Any suggestions?