Can I use this <1/4 inch gravel in aquariums?

On 7/11/2023 at 6:34 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Lapus Lustre Monterey Sand

It's no longer available due to a lawsuit about environmental damage.  Just a heads up.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:54 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

I was going to mix it in with some coarse sand, in a future tank.

Screenshot_20230711-205100.png

This stuff looks really similar to detail aquascaping stone.  As long as you don't have fish trying to eat off the bottom and hurting themselves constantly, there shouldn't be any issue using this at all.

Edited by nabokovfan87
Added link
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

The reason I like smaller grain sizes like the #2/12 that Cemex Lapis Lustre is there is less likelyhood that food will drop down between the grains of substrate, start rotting, and cause health issues for my fish.  The #2/12 size allows for good root growth.  -Roy

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 10:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This stuff looks really similar to detail aquascaping stone.  As long as you don't have fish trying to eat off the bottom and hurting themselves constantly, there shouldn't be any issue using this at all.

Ah, yes, I don't think this will be the case. If I understand correctly, the gravel will eventually sink under the sand at some point.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 10:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a global shortage of construction grade sand ie: sand which has not been exposed to erosion. Rounded sand found in a desert or the beach does not work well for concrete and there is plenty of sources for this type of sand. Mining it off a beach seems excessive, I agree with shutting this down. 

• Thanks 1