Swim bladder disease in guppy tank

ToothlessTheGuppy

Hello everyone,

I'm having issue with my guppies... I think some of them have developed swim bladder disease. One of them is in very poor condition. It started with hiding behind the filter, then he started to swim on his side near the surface. Now he's barely moving and lying near the surface on his side. I've also noticed that the ends of his fins have reddish stain. They are frayed, but they were like this from the beginning, and they started to heal after putting him in my aquarium. It seems to me that one of his eyes has turned white, but maybe it was like this from the beginning..?

The other one swims very strangely, like he is drunk, leaning to the sides. But his poop looks pretty normal. Unlike the first one, it's very thin, long, and transparent (you can see it in the photo).

My shop recommended me using Tropical Healthosan. I've put it in the aquarium because if this is a parasite, then probably others have it too.

I don't think it could be due to mechanical damage. About overfeeding - I'm giving them 3 medium flakes twice a day (there are 5 of them in the aquarium). Also, I don't think that one of the guppies would do that to the others.

I'm uploading some pictures of the first guppy. He looks very poor, and I don't know how to help him... 😢 He has been lying like this for two days now. 

My parameters:
Ammonnia: 0
NO2: 0,05 [EDITED]
NO3: haven't measured it yet
dGH: 9,5 
dKH: 10 
PH: 7,2
Temperature: 77 F / 25 C

Here is the description of the medication I gave them. I don't know what's inside it. I did the first one in the main tank - 10ml/100 liters. 

"HEALTHOSAN fish health care product. An aquarium preparation with a wide range of applications. It effectively protects fish against dangerous pathogens such as bacteria, protozoa, and fungi. It accelerates the regeneration of damaged epidermis and tattered fins. It effectively protects eggs and fry of delicate species of fish. The light contributes to the decomposition of the active substance, hence it should be turned off during the treatment. The preparation may damage delicate aquatic plants.

Dosage: In common tanks - 10 ml/100 liters of water. Bath in a separate tank without substrate: long-term bath (6-14 days) - 10 ml/50 liters of water, short-term bath (2-12 hours) - 10 ml/10 liters of water.

Together with this preparation, we recommend: CocoCarb, Carbolit."
https://tropical.pl/tropical/product/HEALTHOSAN 

Thank you for your for your advices in advance. 

1688803313481.jpg

1688803313490.jpg

1688803313499.jpg

Edited by ToothlessTheGuppy

@Colu, thank you very much for your response! Unfortunately, there is nothing like this available in my area or in online shops that can deliver it to me quicker than in 20-30 working days... 😞 I could only use some aquarium/epsom salt.
I've also read that this one can be treated with methylene blue, which is available in shops near me, but I need to do more research, cause I'm not sure if I could use it in that case and I don't want to risk. 

On 7/8/2023 at 6:21 PM, ToothlessTheGuppy said:

@Colu, thank you very much for your response! Unfortunately, there is nothing like this available in my area or in online shops that can deliver it to me quicker than in 20-30 working days... 😞 I could only use some aquarium/epsom salt.
I've also read that this one can be treated with methylene blue, which is available in shops near me, but I need to do more research, cause I'm not sure if I could use it in that case and I don't want to risk. 

I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for a week or if your seeing no improvement after a week I would up the aquarium salt to 1 table spoon for 1 gallons I would only use methylene blue in bath adding to your tank will kill your benefial bacterial 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:29 AM, ToothlessTheGuppy said:

@Colu, thank you, I'll give it a chance. I've found out that this medication I used contains trypaflavin derivatives. I hope it won't react with aquarium salt. 

Trypaflavine is  safe to use with aquarium salt 

Edited by Colu

I find with my livebearers that it is really hard to reverse swim bladder issues. One thing I do for prevention, something so have learned, is livebearers really need some veggies in their diet. Most of my issues have come when I am only feeding BBS or higher protein foods to encourage growth. A good algae wafer and spirulina flake daily help them be their happiest. 

@Goosedub I feed them green peas and blood worms once a week. They are getting fish flakes everyday, cause I've heard that fish flakes are balanced nowadays... But now I'm definetely going to diversify their diet.

Unfortunetely the black one passed away yesterday... 😞 We're fighting for the other one. We put him in a quarantine tank with aquarium salt and trypaflavine. The other fish in the main tank looks fine, but we also put the medication and salt in there.

The other sick fish was getting much better, he was swimming normally but then he suddenly got worse. He swims with head down (although not so often), leaning to his side, lying at the bottom.
I tested the water in quarantine tank and find out that nitrites were at lvl 1,5 mg/l. I've changed 50% of the water, added aquarium salt with aloe vera, and nitrite was at lvl 0,2. The next day it was 1,0 - after about 14 hours... I've changed the water again - 40%, and it's 0,025.

I'm feeding this fish once a day with very small ammount of food - green pea, spirulina, blood worms sometimes flakes soaked in vitamins. His tank has 3 gallons. There is aquarium salt, which should detoxify nitrite. Ammonia is at lvl 0, there are plants in his tank.  
Could nitrite spike influence his swim bladder? 

Edited by ToothlessTheGuppy