Little white worms on the glass.

I recently came back from a trip and I noticed these little white worms crawling all over the glass. I bought this tank used and it came with two snails plants rocks, gravel and filter, media. I rinsed out the gravel under tap water and the rocks with plants superglue on them.I also cleaned out all the filter media under tapwater, including the tank. and wipe every service down with rubbing alcohol when it was dry. I put some cycled media from my African Cichlid tank into the back filter compartment to kickstart the cycle.I’m wondering if they are harmful or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

• Like 1

They are white and very small. I can see them move across the glass. They are to small to see if they are flat or tubular. They appeared out of nowhere. I came back from a 4 day trip and I put in some food when I left and now I see them. I feel like they are detritus worm’s because they are so small. Or at least I hope so.

• Like 1

Usually critters become annoying only if there is nothing to prey on them. When you add fish, more likely it is gonna be fine to control their population.

Also consider them like pest snails. More food available=increasing population in general. 

Idk how broad the term detrius worm is, but my detrius worms are def not like that is all I can tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup they do. I’m gonna add a betta to this tank. I need a opinion. Do you like the scape? It’s my second time at trying planted tanks. First time failed horribly because I didn’t know what I was doing. Now I hopefully do because of all the research I’ve been doing. 

IMG_0718.jpeg

I got the tank used so that’s why there is millions of scratches lol

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 2:13 PM, Matthew does stuff said:

Yup they do. I’m gonna add a betta to this tank. I need a opinion. Do you like the scape? It’s my second time at trying planted tanks. First time failed horribly because I didn’t know what I was doing. Now I hopefully do because of all the research I’ve been doing. 

IMG_0718.jpeg

I got the tank used so that’s why there is millions of scratches lol

I do like it! For a betta I would stand the wood up or add something with a little height. They like to swim around things/explore. If they can see from one side of the tank to the other, they tend to get bored (in my experience)

35040700-212F-4C83-8235-99E750689434.jpeg

• Like 2

Yup bettas are explorers. I’m planning on getting a betta leaf hammock and suction cup it to the glass. Also I put the wood in yesterday and I’m waiting for the fungus to appear in about a week then I’ll clean it and get a betta. I’m also gonna get some larger floaters to fill in some of the water column with its roots. And when I find some anubias nana I’m gonna glue it to the wood towards the top. I like your tank. What’s your bettas name? He’s so cute 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 4:57 PM, Matthew does stuff said:

That’s is some good food. I like his name! I got some Fluval bug bites and some frozen blood worms and some flake food that I’m planning to give to my betta. I hope mine will eat at-least one of those lol

Geppetto loves frozenbloodworms. He doesn’t like flake food. I also feed him frozen or live brine shrimp, freeze dried daphnia, and xtreme betta pellet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...