Have a laugh on me...I should know better by now!

PineSong

I didn't want to breed guppies in my pond this year because I didn't want to spend months sorting fry. So I set the pond up with my white clouds, my lone goldfish, and a bunch of female guppies from the females-only tank. 

The pond has had green water from the time it thawed out until this week. Either the Canadian wildfire haze or the barley pellets I'd added finally worked to decrease the green; by this morning the pond was clear at least halfway down.

As I sat admiring the sparkly water and happy fish, refreshed by all our recent thunderstorms providing natural water changes...what did I see?

Fry! Yellow fry. Gray fry. New fry. Week-old fry.

When will I learn that it takes a much better guppy sorter than I will ever be, to prevent guppies from breeding?

I guess I'm about to find out how many fry can hide from a 5 inch goldfish in a pond with lots of plant life....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 7/3/2023 at 1:19 AM, PineSong said:

I didn't want to breed guppies in my pond this year because I didn't want to spend months sorting fry. So I set the pond up with my white clouds, my lone goldfish, and a bunch of female guppies from the females-only tank. 

The pond has had green water from the time it thawed out until this week. Either the Canadian wildfire haze or the barley pellets I'd added finally worked to decrease the green; by this morning the pond was clear at least halfway down.

As I sat admiring the sparkly water and happy fish, refreshed by all our recent thunderstorms providing natural water changes...what did I see?

Fry! Yellow fry. Gray fry. New fry. Week-old fry.

When will I learn that it takes a much better guppy sorter than I will ever be, to prevent guppies from breeding?

I guess I'm about to find out how many fry can hide from a 5 inch goldfish in a pond with lots of plant life....

My endlers in my tub are pregnant for the 4th batch without any male 🤣

• Haha 2