Polycarbonate greenhouse aquarium lids...how to make a hinge?

Maximus

I've been using lids made from greenhouse siding, but I want to modify them to add a hinge so I can more easily feed my tanks without having to take the entire thing off and cause some water to drip around. Has anyone done this successfully? I'm not really sure where to start other than taking one of the lids to the hardware store and looking around for something that might work. I figured if I found some sort of flexible hinge like they have for the glass lids, but that accept the thicker polycarb lid, and then just glue it in there.

On 6/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I literally just cut mine where I wanted the hinge, taped it back together with clear gorilla tape, and then use some sort of cheap command strip hanger for a spot to grab and flip it open. Definitely not fancy, but definitely works like a charm 3 years later 

@AllFishNoBrakes does the tape seem to hold up well where it bends? It doesn't become brittle or start coming apart?

Couple years back i bought a 4x8 panel of twinwall polycarbonate, and the seller included cutting lids to size in the price. While browsing their physical storefront I found clear plastic hinges, and a type of acrylic glue that have worked great for me. 

image.jpeg.20cbd538dc91c8c8b6106b1818b3051d.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e841ee78ef38ff5e5128b8c0cd3695c.jpeg

I quickly checked amazon, and if you search for "acrylic hinges for plexiglass" you can find some of the same hinges that I bought. I suspect any clear plastic-safe glue will work to attach them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, Maximus said:

@AllFishNoBrakes does the tape seem to hold up well where it bends? It doesn't become brittle or start coming apart?

Holds up well enough for me. Definitely haven’t had it become brittle, and when I need to take the lids off to clean they still hold together. 

Definitely shows some wear and tear over the 3 year period I’ve had them, but if I really wanted to I could just rip off the tape and throw a new strip on there. 

On 6/27/2023 at 12:46 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I literally just cut mine where I wanted the hinge, taped it back together with clear gorilla tape, and then use some sort of cheap command strip hanger for a spot to grab and flip it open. Definitely not fancy, but definitely works like a charm 3 years later 

This is what I did as well for mine. I had to replace a couple pieces of tape over the years, but nothing to hard, old tape peeled right off and put new on.