Pearl Weed for Self-Sustaining Tank?

Hello! So I just bought some pearl weed planted and floated some. The floaters are growing like crazy while the ones in the substrate aren't. (Beside the point) I'll be leaving for a military assignment for the Air National Guard soon. I have my girlfriend being able to take care of my main 10-gallon tank, however. If I started within the next few days in my 5 gallons just growing/ floating pearl weed with just lighting no filter no heater nothing. Let it just grow and cycle itself. In theory when I come back should it be self-sustainable to put in fish? Thanks

On 6/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, ouray1 said:

fluval stratum i think

Perfect.  So what you'd want to do is monitor GH / KH.  lots of water changes up front to pull the excess organics (from causing algae) and then you'd monitor how fast the tank is stabilizing.  Once the substrate is don't altering the GH and KH, then you would have those resources in the soil for the plants to access.  Secondarily you can also add in root tabs as well.  Considering time may be of an issue, that may be the route to go.

Can you let us know your tank parameters so we can get an idea of how "seasoned" the soil substrate is?  How long has it been setup?

less than a week maybe 5 or 6 days or so it's day 3 of me doing the water change. The pearl weeds are starting to die but I have a strong light I leave on for 8 hours a day every other plant I do also have is doing alright.

• Sad 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, ouray1 said:

less than a week maybe 5 or 6 days or so it's day 3 of me doing the water change. The pearl weeds are starting to die but I have a strong light I leave on for 8 hours a day every other plant I do also have is doing alright.

water parameters? Dosing schedule?

So, I try to dose excel every day just a tad bit I already have root tabs and such in the substrate. I don't know exactly what my parameters are but I would assume low. I do not know my PH either. I just use my tap water (conditioned). Like i got no clue what exactly things are specifically all i know is the ones in the substrate are doing bad the floaters are doing quite decent tho

• Nitrite
  • Nitrate