Slug of a snail

Jackson

Bought a nerite snail from petco to put into my micro tank .  The snail hardly gets around and stays near the top of the water . Been like this for three weeks . So . I put another nerite from my community tank in there and it's cleaning up , doing laps around the tank while the other hardly moves . It gets around .... But very very slowly .

45 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Bought a nerite snail from petco to put into my micro tank .  The snail hardly gets around and stays near the top of the water . Been like this for three weeks . So . I put another nerite from my community tank in there and it's cleaning up , doing laps around the tank while the other hardly moves . It gets around .... But very very slowly .

What type of nerite is it?  I have one called a King Koopa nerite that hibernates for long periods of time.  Then when he comes out of it, he goes on massive cleaning sprees.

9 minutes ago, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What type of nerite is it?  I have one called a King Koopa nerite that hibernates for long periods of time.  Then when he comes out of it, he goes on massive cleaning sprees.

It's a tiger nerite .. I think it is sick . Keeping an eye on the zebra nerite I put in there . Been doing regular water changes  about every 4 days I do all the tanks., keeping ph around 6.8  or so .  

Edited by Jackson

14 minutes ago, Jackson said:

It's a tiger nerite .. I think it is sick . Keeping an eye on the zebra nerite I put in there . Been doing regular water changes  about every 4 days I do all the tanks., keeping ph around 6.8  or so .  

How did you acclimate the nerite?  Did you float in the bag, and then add tank water in intervals?  Or drip acclimate? 

Snails do not do well with plop & drop; not saying you did that - just throwing it out there because you said the snail is new to the tank.  They can remain in their shell for an extended period of time if not acclimated gently, due to stress.  

@Cinnebuns anything to add?  I don't personally have a tiger nerite.  I have olive, zebra, and King Koopa.  @Guppysnail

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How did you acclimate the nerite?  Did you float in the bag, and then add tank water in intervals?  Or drip acclimate? 

Snails do not do well with plop & drop; not saying you did that - just throwing it out there because you said the snail is new to the tank.  They can remain in their shell for an extended period of time if not acclimated gently.

1 minute ago, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Snails do not do well with plop & drop; not saying you did that - just throwing it out there because you said the snail is new to the tank.  They can remain in their shell for an extended period of time if not acclimated gently.  

@Cinnebuns anything to add?  I don't personally have a tiger nerite.  I have olive, zebra, and King Koopa.

It was a drop and plop . The snail tank at petco wasn't doing to well . I have had no problems with any drop and plot as of yet . Just plopped my zebra in there and it's eating up a storm . 

maybe the water isn't good to the snails . Both snails have exhibited the same pattern of crawling on the lid to the aquarium lid .  But the tiger now resides under water just slow . Put the zebra back in the community . Haven't tried a higher ph than 7 for any sustained time .

8 minutes ago, Guppysnail said:

It’s hard to tell with snails. Offer veggies. Snails do best with a ph over 7 though. 

• Like 1