I had a heater melt in a tank earlier in the year. Is the driftwood that I had in the tank just gone for good?

When I soak wood I change the water either daily or weekly. After a certain amount of time you should feel confident it's leeched out anything, but given the scenario of what's going on, adding in that movement and chemical media to absorb stuff wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 6:36 PM, lefty o said:

how long was it in the tank with the melted heater? it would have to be pretty long for it to get anything more than trace amounts.

I'd say a day or so before I had the free time to break it all down. It was in a Fluval Spec 5 tank that I scrubbed out and washed with soap and bleach and heavy, heavy rinsing. Getting it set up again with sand and a new heater. I'm thinking I'll soak it for a few weeks with water changes in a bucket, and then add it to the tank and let it run without livestock for another few weeks, to ensure that nothing is left. For filter media I'm thinking purigen, biomedia, and sponges soaked in my very established tank. Does this sound like a good route of action?

• Like 1