Pick my stocking!

Lexi B

Got a 10 g up and ready, but I'm going back and forth between some options. Would love to see what people think! 

I'm stuck between either...

*1 pea puffer 

*A handful of endlers + neocardina shrimp 

*Sparkling gouramis 

As far as baby endlers and excess shrimp go, I've got 3 Bettas that are all voracious predators. So really it's an in between thing for me 

Edited by Lexi B

My first choice would probably be your second option, but I like the first one also, and if it's well planted you could probably do or three pea puffers.

By the way, I assume you meant shrimp and endlers?  A handful of endless would seem to be a contradiction, since if it's just a handful it's not endless.  😉

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, JettsPapa said:

My first choice would probably be your second option, but I like the first one also, and if it's well planted you could probably do or three pea puffers.

By the way, I assume you meant shrimp and endlers?  A handful of endless would seem to be a contradiction, since if it's just a handful it's not endless.  😉

Oh!! Darn auto correct not knowing fish. Endlers!!

• Like 1

Endlers and shrimp would be my pick out of your options. Endlers are fun to watch. They compete with one another all day every day even if there are no female present. Just a bunch of warriors doing it for the love of the game.

Edited by NOLANANO

On 6/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, NOLANANO said:

Endlers and shrimp would be my pick out of your options. Endlers are fun to watch. They compete with one another all day every day even if there are no female present. Just a bunch of gamers doing it for the love of the game.

I used to keep guppies and I miss watching the males dance for the females! It was always so quirky since each male seemed to have his own strategy 

Endlers are super cute. Way too cute.  I just don't wanna vote it knowing babies will end up being food :') 

Sparkling gouramis are really interesting. I think they are way too underrated. Beautiful colors, always active, and they CROAK! Males look insane. If you think you can manage to fill the tank with driftwood, rocks, plants etc to let them establish territories, go for sparkling gouramis. Here is pic of some of mine

image.png.cdead9dcd8ce7d29c0dd12051f736382.pngimage.png.e720527e5089abeb6cc99e819bdaa09c.png

The only fish I've never kept from this list is pea puffer. I really like puffers tho and def planning to keep some one day. But pea puffers are VERY small. Not sure if would feel full in a 10g tank, and they are basically not good at having tank mates.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, Lennie said:

Endlers are super cute. Way too cute.  I just don't wanna vote it knowing babies will end up being food :') 

Sparkling gouramis are really interesting. I think they are way too underrated. Beautiful colors, always active, and they CROAK! Males look insane. If you think you can manage to fill the tank with driftwood, rocks, plants etc to let them establish territories, go for sparkling gouramis. Here is pic of some of mine

image.png.cdead9dcd8ce7d29c0dd12051f736382.pngimage.png.e720527e5089abeb6cc99e819bdaa09c.png

The only fish I've never kept from this list is pea puffer. I really like puffers tho and def planning to keep some one day. But pea puffers are VERY small. Not sure if would feel full in a 10g tank, and they are basically not good at having tank mates.

I actually just lost a pea puffer last week. He was in this tank, but somehow managed to wedge himself between two pieces of seiryu stone- it's kind of why I'm on the fence about getting another even though I removed the stone altogether. 

Figured I'd give myself a little bit of time to think on it since I'll be passing through Edmonds in 2 weeks 

On 6/16/2023 at 10:40 PM, Lexi B said:

I actually just lost a pea puffer last week. He was in this tank, but somehow managed to wedge himself between two pieces of seiryu stone- it's kind of why I'm on the fence about getting another even though I removed the stone altogether. 

Figured I'd give myself a little bit of time to think on it since I'll be passing through Edmonds in 2 weeks 

Sorry for your loss.

Then, if I were you, I would try something new this time 🙂

Maybe something else can be considered to be added to the list? Like clown kilis? Can be fun trying to breed them if you ph is good for them, as they want it on acidic side. 

I vote some nice shrimp and some lovely green low demand plants and some white cloud minnows.  Beautiful stocking.  I think the minnows would be ok with shrimp, but I am uncertain.  Endlers are another beautiful option for that setup. 

I would get the tank going, get the algae and "seasoning" going, plants going, and then get the shrimp colony going.  Once the colony is established, then I would add in some fish.

Also.  Shrimp tank.. Wood.  Add a clown pleco 🙂