Can a spike in pH cause fin rot/problems? (Betta)

eyeebrows

Noticed a bit of a dip in his tail last night (which has gotten worse today, that's what the photos are of). I checked the water parameters and the pH was at 8 which is higher than usual. Did a water change and added extra catappa leaves. Could the pH have caused it? He's hurt his fins before on substrate but never to that extent.

I've been trying so hard to keep him healthy, even introducing the vitamins, but it feels like there's always something and I keep ending up here not knowing what to do/what I'm doing wrong. 

Info: nitrite and ammonia 0, nitrate 10-20 (I can't tell the difference in colour), pH spiked to 8 (averages lower 7s)

Tank: 10g, 77-78f, filtered, air stone, planted etc. He's a master of injury so I've removed everything he's been able to hurt himself on minus the substrate (he rubs along the bottom looking for snacks). I have 3 walls of the tank covered with that plastic mesh canvas stuff so he stops seeing his reflection and freaking out. 

Diet: mix of frozen, freeze dried and pellets plus vita chem

PXL_20230615_000132612.jpg

PXL_20230615_000136150.jpg

On 6/15/2023 at 3:17 AM, Colu said:

What was your pH before it spiked

It averages 7.2-7-5 (the last one I have written down was 7.2 but I know that wasn't the most recent, I guess I didn't write that one down). I know that's not helpful, I'm sorry. I have soft water and it doesn't ever seem to stay consistent. 

On 6/15/2023 at 11:25 AM, eyeebrows said:

It averages 7.2-7-5 (the last one I have written down was 7.2 but I know that wasn't the most recent, I guess I didn't write that one down). I know that's not helpful, I'm sorry. I have soft water and it doesn't ever seem to stay consistent. 

Have you added anything new such as rocks that would be raising your pH 

On 6/15/2023 at 11:27 AM, Colu said:

Have you added anything new such as rocks that would be raising your pH 

I can't see your pH fluctuating 0.5 -0.8 causing the problems your seeing  some fish are more sensitive to swings in pH what your other water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate 

On 6/15/2023 at 4:32 AM, Colu said:

I can't see your pH fluctuating 0.5 -0.8 causing the problems your seeing  some fish are more sensitive to swings in pH what your other water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate 

Nitrite and ammonia are 0, nitrate is 10-20 (I really struggle telling the difference in colour, but I think it's probably 10). I also didn't think the pH would be a likely reason..I just didn't know what else it would be. Plus the vita chem and catappa leaves to try and keep him extra healthy in general. 

On 6/15/2023 at 9:44 PM, eyeebrows said:

Nitrite and ammonia are 0, nitrate is 10-20 (I really struggle telling the difference in colour, but I think it's probably 10). I also didn't think the pH would be a likely reason..I just didn't know what else it would be. Plus the vita chem and catappa leaves to try and keep him extra healthy in general. 

Your water parameters are fine What I would is  add more catappa leaves and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes for a week if  your noticing no improvement after a week or he gets worse before then I would do a course of kanaplex 

On 6/15/2023 at 1:52 PM, Colu said:

Your water parameters are fine What I would is  add more catappa leaves and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes for a week if  your noticing no improvement after a week or he gets worse before then I would do a course of kanaplex 

Yes, I've added extra catappa leaves. He's not acting any different, very active, building a bubble nest. His tail just looks like crap. It also keeps getting caught on the plants a bit as he's trying to swim through them which isn't helping. 

Thanks for the help, I'll keep an eye on him and see how the next week goes. I'd like to avoid putting him in the hospital tank (he's managed to spend an awful lot of time in there) but we'll see.