Bloated female CPD, acts normal

frogdog

Hi all,

I have a school of 7 CPDs in a 10g with 3 mystery snails and live plants, none of which have been added recently. One of the females is bloated and seems to be getting larger and larger. I fasted them twice for about 3 days and I didn’t think her belly has gone down. I’m not sure if she is pooping. She is active and behaves completely normally. None of the other fish are bloated- the females do have slightly plumper bellies than the males but this girl is big. They get Easy Fry in the morning and frozen baby brine shrimp in the evening but I have been only feeding them 1 meal a day or every other day and it hasn’t helped. Photos don’t do it justice because they dart around fast. It is pearly white and bulbous.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 25

GH: 100ish

pH: ~6.6 (this is low and a new development, it is usually around 7.0 and the bloating predates the low pH)

Temp: 77

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like she will lay eggs tomorrow morning. This area under their belly gets a darker tint sort of reddish line just before they lay. 
Otherwise she looks fine. I do not see pineconing so I would not worry. 
They really enjoy spawning with natural sunrise. I usually let them finish before I turn the lights on. 

I actually found a tiny fry in the tank just before posting this so they are definitely spawning and all of the females have that dark spot. But none have gotten this big. She has been oversized for WEEKS. I just had the lights off in my tank for about a week trying to combat algae growth.