Good Bacteria

FishRBeautiful

I have a 5 gallon with an air pump and heater. I recently learned the filter is where the good bacteria live but my 5 gallon always tests 0 nitrites so I know it’s cycled. My question is where is the good bacteria living in this tank so I know not to kill it?

Oh and should I put filter floss under the gravel so the bacteria has somewhere to live?

It lives on every surface in the tank, and it is likely more concentrated on places with water flow.  People often say that it resides primarily in the filter because there is so much surface area on filter media, and there is good flow there, but it's on every surface.

Adding filter media adds more room for more bacteria, but depending on how heavily your tank is stocked it may not need it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:31 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

5 gallon always tests 0 nitrites so I know it’s cycled.

That does not directly mean its cycled to be fair.

The cycle might be not there at all even. To make sure, you need to have an ammonia source in the tank, then you gotta read ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate. So basically you gotta also know your nitrate and ammonia readings, as well as there must be an ammonia source to have the beneficial bacteria cycle going on.

On an empty tank you will also read 0 nitrite, or when they cycle is very new, maybe all you will read is ammonia and no nitrites yet. 0 nitrite reading may not mean it is cycled, is what I'm trying to explain. hope it is not confusing.

Beneficial bacteria lives on the surface but they like oxygenated water flow. These two are mainly combined at filters. Even tho there is bb on surfaces like drftwood, substrate, glasses, plants, etc., they are mainly located at the filter. When you introduce an established filter into a new tank, it generally handles a similar bioload directly. If you move only plants or gravel for example, they will indeed introduce beneficial bacteria, but I don't think it can handle the same bioload of the fish from where it is taken, if you introduce a fresh new filter.

That makes sense. I do test 15-40 ppm nitrates. I have 1 Betta & 4 ember tetras so maybe heavily stocked. Bacteria may be living in  floating moss ball if they like surface. Would it still be better to add filter media? What if I just stuck it under some gravel? Any other ideas? 

On 6/12/2023 at 10:25 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

That makes sense. I do test 15-40 ppm nitrates. I have 1 Betta & 4 ember tetras so maybe heavily stocked. Bacteria may be living in  floating moss ball if they like surface. Would it still be better to add filter media? What if I just stuck it under some gravel? Any other ideas? 

No. The beneficial bacteria need oxygenated water. Unless you have an under gravel filter the bacteria below the surface gravel cannot thrive.  

A better idea would be attach a small sponge filter to your airline. If you tank is ok now it really doesn’t need much more. 

• Like 1

The bacteria lives everywhere.  Probably a lot in your gravel.  The flow created by the airstone helps.  As stated above adding a sponge filter could help but it sounds like everything is working fine.  If you scrub decor you will kill some bacteria but I wouldn’t overthink it.  If you replaced gravel for whatever reason it could be a problem and I would monitor.  If tests are good, the system is working.  

Edited by _Eric_
Typo
  • Love 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:25 PM, LoveMyPlatys said:

If you have nitrates, but no nitrites or ammonia your tank is almost certainly cycled just fine.  You can add more surface area, or a sponge filter, but if your fish are healthy it's likely not necessary.  Adding more live plants would probably be just as good, and maybe better. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:02 AM, Guppysnail said:

No. The beneficial bacteria need oxygenated water. Unless you have an under gravel filter the bacteria below the surface gravel cannot thrive.  

A better idea would be attach a small sponge filter to your airline. If you tank is ok now it really doesn’t need much more. 

Oh, interesting. Great idea! Do I need something to brace it to the bottom? It’s just a tube attached to an air stone.  It’s always floating up when I do water changes. 

I just started fishkeeping so when I set up the 5 gallon, I Googled what fish need to live and found oxygen and heaters. I had no idea about filters or types of filters, except that my 20 gallon kit came with an HOB. 

I don’t have an ammonia test because when nitrites are 0 and I have nitrates, the pet store tests always show 0 ammonia. Once I get stocking the way I want it, I’ll keep adding plants. I do add plants here and there. I got cheap plastic ones from a Amazon until I get more live plants. They are a pain to clean though. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, LoveMyPlatys said:

Oh, interesting. Great idea! Do I need something to brace it to the bottom? It’s just a tube attached to an air stone.  It’s always floating up when I do water changes. 

I just started fishkeeping so when I set up the 5 gallon, I Googled what fish need to live and found oxygen and heaters. I had no idea about filters or types of filters, except that my 20 gallon kit came with an HOB. 

Some like the ACO sponges are weighted at the bottom. Others you need to somewhat bury the base to keep them down. They have ports your airline plugs right in to. 

• Love 1