Algae on plants

So I am having an issue with one of my tanks. Algae on my plants. My light cycle is 8hrs at the moment. I am doing a weekly addition of API leaf zone. My test numbers for ammonia = 0, nitrite and nitrate = 0, ph is 7.55, KH 5doh, gh 8doh. 

The tank is a 65g well planted with Corydoras(10-15), Siamese algae eaters(2), Nerite and bladder snails and one big mystery snail, and a good selection of fish (tetras, glass cats, harlequin rasboras and American flag fish). 

I am no my sure on the type of algae on the plants but I have a few spots with what looks like black beard algae. I have been removing the black beard manually. 

any ideas on how to reduce the growth on the plants?  I’m worried if I reduce the lighting too much it will affect my other plants. The amount of algae is actually more than in the pic  

IMG_0967.jpeg

Edited by Stephan1973

On 6/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, Stephan1973 said:

IMG_0967.jpeg

I would trim that plant right above where all of those leaves with the algae are.  That entire section looks really healthy. The leaves with the thick green algae you'd want to dip with something like this:

The algae you're dealing with should be a lot easier to remove as it is green spot algae (green diatoms), but this method does work.

On 6/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, Stephan1973 said:

I am doing a weekly addition of API leaf zone.

Just a heads up, leaf zone is not a full all-in-one fertilizer.  It contains potassium and iron.  Switching to an all-in-one fertilizer might be the way to improve plant health and get ahead of the algae.  I wouldn't mess with your lighting.  Manually remove the algae as best you can, as often as you can, and focus on nutrients, trimming, plant growth.

Just out of curiosity, what light are you using (what intensity?) and what is the substrate in your tank?

For my lighting I am using a Hygger 957 Planted Aquarium Light. The intensity is 100% for 8hrs. With approx 2 hrs night lighting.  My substrate is gravel with a mix of Fluval stratum mixed in. I am also using root tabs (homemade Osmocote plus tabs).  I have used the co2 booster from api as well.

as a full range fertilizer what would you recommend? I would love to use easy green but here in Canada I have to order online but would rather buy something local  shipping is a lot here in Canada

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 1:18 AM, Stephan1973 said:

as a full range fertilizer what would you recommend? I would love to use easy green but here in Canada I have to order online but would rather buy something local  shipping is a lot here in Canada

There is a variety of options, what is available locally for you?

On 6/10/2023 at 1:18 AM, Stephan1973 said:

I am also using root tabs (homemade Osmocote plus tabs).  I have used the co2 booster from api as well.

I am just sharing this for clarity so you are aware it is not liquid CO2.