Can I top off my tank with tap water that smells like sulfur/eggs?

Vod

Not sure why, but my tap water recently started smelling like sulfur/rotten eggs. My tank doesn't require me to do water changes very often, probably because it's heavily planted.

My question, is can I safely top off my tank? Or should I buy and add distilled water until my landlord fixes the smell, if he ever does?

Sounds like Hydrogen sulfide maybe. That can build up and harm fish. One key is adding extra aeration. Add several air-stones. Gassing off is crucial. Depending on how many aquariums you have, perhaps you can arrange for micro water changes / top offs from another unaffected water source.

There is a way to install an in-line water purifying filter that may resolve this. It is not cheap, but it may help. You can set it up with the help of a plumber to the sink where you do your water changes. Bascally, it filters water _from that sink_ so that you can be adding filtered water to your aquarium(s). 

On 6/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, Vod said:

Thanks for the reply. My tank doesn't smell like sulfur yet, so I may just add distilled water or leave it for now.

You should ideally not top off with tap water anyway. That might be a better way to go. Otherwise the majority of the stuff in your tap water starts accumulating in the water column.

Water change- you can use tap

Top off- RO/distilled

Water changes are not all about nitrate readings btw. Even if you see no nitrate readings, I would do a water change still.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

If you are buying water for top off's just buy drinking water remember especially when you don't do many water changes  the fish and plants need the  dissolved minerals in the water that will be depleting over time. 

this should also be cheaper and easier to get hold of than RO/distilled