Non aquarium plant light?

I have a planted aquarium- 20 long- that I am looking for a good light for. I was thinking of trying a light from Home Depot,  because I've heard that's a good and inexpensive option, and it's always fun to try something new. I looked last time I was there and was totally overwhelmed! Has anyone gone this route? What should I look for specifically? I want my plants to be happy and eventually (it's a new set up- not fully cycled) I will be adding fish!

20230607_224056.jpg

On 6/7/2023 at 10:43 PM, smm333 said:

I have a planted aquarium- 20 long- that I am looking for a good light for. I was thinking of trying a light from Home Depot,  because I've heard that's a good and inexpensive option, and it's always fun to try something new. I looked last time I was there and was totally overwhelmed! Has anyone gone this route? What should I look for specifically? I want my plants to be happy and eventually (it's a new set up- not fully cycled) I will be adding fish!

Well, maybe this is a bit different of an issue now compared to previous years.  I think the general advice nowadays is that things have improved to a point where there's no need to use shop lights or to use spotlights or other "budget" options from the hardware store.  Why? Well, for one there is a plethora of other options on the market.  Be it Cory's own ACO Easy Plant LED Light, something from Nicrew, from Finnex, or Hygger, there is a new variety in the market pushing to be affordable and have some of the features you need for your aquarium.

By the time you get the LED from the hardware store and the timer you need, I would argue you'd be right at the price for something else, designed for the tank, and will make you a bit more.... happier to view and use on a day to day basis.

Hopefully others can chime in with their favorite hardware store style setups as well as their favorite budget lights.  There is a lot of options though, thankfully.

Best of luck!

I think it really depends on how far away the light will be from the tank. I trust aquarium lights if I plan to have the light on top of the tank or the lid. Then I wouldnt go home made or hw store bought light as I would not be sure the light is waterproof.

A good way to save money is to simply not buy lights of the length of the tank. Unless you have some super red rare plants, most lights need to be dimmed to half the light anyway, and more light is always more algae.

On one of my tanks I only have an ikea clip on lamp, because it only houses anubias and there is no need for ful llight. On my 110cm long tank, I have a 60cm long light, because it is low plants and I like the shaded areas. On my 2 smaller tanks, I share one light, half and half, and one of the tanks relies on natural light from the window. 

In here the cheapest options are the 60cm lights, I just bought one, colored, with wifi controller for 46 euro.

I will share pictures of my setups but please excuse the glares/reflections 

1686207006485.jpg

IMG-1159.JPG

IMG-1115.JPG

• Like 2

So my main issue with a regular light was that the tank is rimless and doesn't have a top. I found a real nice light and brackets that screw onto the glass which is working really well. It is a planted light, so hopefully it will give me some great growth and color on my plants!20230611_175622.jpg.2d8886a1c80dc24e815a9039a93ac592.jpg

• Love 1