responsible way of treating tank water in case of invasives?

Mystery snails are a commonly kept critter in aquariums.  They are a subset of the larger family of apple snails, some of which are invasive, Do a google search of "mystery snails versus apple snails" and you'll find a more technical explanation.  I love mystery snails as good clean-up crew, and entertaining to watch.  Another characteristic is they lay egg clutches at the top of the aquarium making them very easy to pluck out to control the population for your tanks.

Mystery snails lay eggs above the waterline. Remove the clutches and there will be no babies to worry about. This goes for most apple snail with a few exceptions like the Asolene Spixii snails that lay underwater. Congratulations on your new friend. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 4:50 AM, Lennie said:

Could you please share the snail? And considering u meant "snails", I assume u hatched the eggs and now have babies? Do you have a picture of the eggs?

I have no multiple snails, I am trying to plan ahead.

On 6/3/2023 at 7:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

Mystery snails lay eggs above the waterline. Remove the clutches and there will be no babies to worry about. This goes for most apple snail with a few exceptions like the Asolene Spixii snails that lay underwater. Congratulations on your new friend. 

Will an old credit card work in scraping the clutch off? How do I properly dispose of the clutch? Soak in seltzer water 12 hours a la reverse respiration?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:19 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

I have no multiple snails, I am trying to plan ahead.

Will an old credit card work in scraping the clutch off? How do I properly dispose of the clutch? Soak in seltzer water 12 hours a la reverse respiration?

Not having multiple mystery snails makes no difference. They can store milt from the males for 10 months or so. 

I let mine fry for a day to dry the casing and they pop right off with my fingers. If you have an overhanging hob or things check under in back of the outflow. They do not hatch for 7-14 days so no worries it will hatch that quick. 

Disposal simply soak in a glass of water overnight. They drown. 

• Like 1