Feeding fish nanos

Jackson

I feed my fish twice a day every day . Is that too much ? What are your feeding schedules for your nano fish  ?   Also with my hob broken down there is no  current. Doesn't push the food to the middle where they like to eat . Confuses them I think , they hang out waiting for the food to drop.  When the food doesn't drop and there is no feeding frenzy and looks like the food just floats into my ball of water sprite . Anyway just curious what some of you folks do for a schedule .

Edited by Jackson
  • Like 1

I feed all of mine 2x a day, 6 days a week. Fry I feed 7 days a week. I fast adult fish on Sunday. This allows biological filtration to "catch up."

With Nano fish, depending in your species, you'll find that if you feed some live foods, they'll begin to actively _hunt_ food rather than waiting for it to find them.

Depending on how experienced you are, you'll find that typically HOBs don't break down... they just need to be adjusted in a water-primed context. Take your filter in to your LFS, and they usually can help. The only exceptions I've run into is where there is a break down in the impeller. I had an internal designed Aqueon 75 melt two weeks ago due to a power outage that got it hot when water wasn't flowing through. Otherwise, usually the smaller units can be restarted. I've personally had good success with AquaClear filters. But there are other excellent ones on the market.

If you add a small sponge filter or two to your aquarium, the bubbles rising will create flow in your tank, and solve the bacterial filtration problem.

If you spend a little, and invest in some frozen Daphnia, your nano fish will probably go for that a little more eagerly than flake food.

If you're doing flake food, the best I've had is Xtreme Krill flakes. They do not tend to foul up the water if uneaten. Fish typically get very excited about eating that!

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 8:24 AM, Fish Folk said:

I feed all of mine 2x a day, 6 days a week. Fry I feed 7 days a week. I fast adult fish on Sunday. This allows biological filtration to "catch up."

With Nano fish, depending in your species, you'll find that if you feed some live foods, they'll begin to actively _hunt_ food rather than waiting for it to find them.

Depending on how experienced you are, you'll find that typically HOBs don't break down... they just need to be adjusted in a water-primed context. Take your finger in to your LFS, and they usually can help. The only exceptions I've run into is where there is a break down in the impeller. I had an internal designed Aqueous 75 melt two weeks ago due to a power outage that got it hot when water wasn't flowing through. Otherwise, usually the smaller units can be restarted. I've personally had good success with AquaClear filters. But there are other excellent ones on the market.

If you add a small sponge filter or two to your aquarium, the bubbles rising will create flow in your tank, and solve the bacterial filtration problem.

If you spend a little, and invest in some frozen Daphnia, your nano fish will probably go for that a little more eagerly than flake food.

If you're doing flake food, the best I've had is Xtreme Krill flakes. They do not tend to foul up the water if uneaten. Fish typically get very excited about eating that!

Ha ... Thanks for reminding me on the aquaclear as I have the filter that came with the tank stored away . Forgot about it .. lol . Started it back up . The fluval was dead . Tried my best to revive it . Have had a sponge filter in the tank running along with the hob .  Daphnia has been recommended  before . I have tried to give them other foods , but they  like crushed flake food . They don't like big flakes . I might try the frozen daphnia, maybe the krill flakes when I get low on what I have , be the last investment  other than flakes if they don't eat it .. lol . I. have some embers, neons, rasboras and a guppy in this tank . Starving them for a day sounds like a try . 

• Like 1

On most HOBs, the motor is just a spinning magnet. — The propeller body is also a magnet and spins with it.
What tends to happen is the propeller gets gummed-up, or there's gunk threaded on the metal pin so the prop doesn't spin any more.

As long as the motor still works, you usually just have to clean the prop so it spins normally again.
If the prop is really worn out, you can reorder replacements online.