Propagating Pogo

Cut stems and plant topped stem, pogo is incredibly easy to propagate.

Edit: more precisely, if you cut just above a node (circled in red) you might get 2 additional stems growing (hilighted by blue arrows)

iMarkup_20230529_130934.jpg

Edited by JoeQ

On 5/29/2023 at 1:46 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

@JoeQ so in the photo above cut each individual new plant above the nodes, discard extra stem and plant roots?

No, i would cut about where the red lines are (just above the node) leaving the leaves if possible. This will give you 3 loose stems (marked in blue). Replant these stems, they will grow their own roots. Where you made your initial cut (above the node) you hopefully will get 2 new stems to grow from the stump thats left like in my example. I have leaf-less stumps of AR sprouting new leaves on account of trimming just above the node! Hope this helps, good luck!

iMarkup_20230529_135218.jpg

• Love 1

On 5/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

I have a mess of this stuff I need to organize but it’s all growing from the stumps like that, would you just leave them in to keep propogating?

I usually just cut and toss (since I dont care about propagating) , the trimming 'technique' above is a method of getting 1 stem to grow big and bushy! 

Edit : and yes, id leave them in. Im assuming since you are looking to propagate that you want numberious stems for various reasons

Edited by JoeQ

I have Pogo in all of my tanks… all from trimming of 1 mother plant. It is ridiculously easy to propagate. As mentioned, cut above a node and plunge the cutting into the substrate and it will grow. The node from the original plant will then grow 2 new shoots. Each time you cut the plant, the old one grows new shoots, the cuttings will sprout roots and grow. I’m to the point now that I no longer save cuttings. It just grows too fast

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Love 1

On 5/29/2023 at 12:29 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

What is the proper way to cut something like this into new plant starts?IMG_5876.jpeg.b44cfef4c1ee237fca905c6887f6ba7b.jpeg

In addition to the usual trimming methods, I have planted the entire stem like the one pictured.  You will soon have 4 or more plants. I also have one floater that I regularly have to peel off of the HOB.

• Like 1