Swapping filters...

Greetings all,

Here's my situation. My current HOB filter has died, and I need to get the replacement seeded and up and running ASAP. Usually, I would swipe some media from the old filter, place it in the new and run both in tandem for a week or so. However, this is not an option this time. Other than putting all the old media containing all the beneficial bacteria in the new filter and dosing turbo start, what other tips would you recommend to ensure I don't crash my cycle? Luckily the media tray for the new filter is very customizable.

Thanks in advance!

On 5/26/2023 at 1:22 PM, asweeney32 said:

Greetings all,

Here's my situation. My current HOB filter has died, and I need to get the replacement seeded and up and running ASAP. Usually, I would swipe some media from the old filter, place it in the new and run both in tandem for a week or so. However, this is not an option this time. Other than putting all the old media containing all the beneficial bacteria in the new filter and dosing turbo start, what other tips would you recommend to ensure I don't crash my cycle? Luckily the media tray for the new filter is very customizable.

Thanks in advance!

I think if you are moving all of the old filter media into the new filter, that should be sufficient. Remember, there is also beneficial bacteria elsewhere in your tank, not just in your filter.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 1:22 PM, asweeney32 said:

Take whatever media is in the filter and put it at the corner of your tank.  Add an airstone underneath, next to, or around the media and then that keeps everything going while you get the new filtration up and running.  You can then move that media into the new filter. Done.

It's not really a major issue, it happens.

• Like 1

In hurricane season I lost power for a few days. I took all of my media and put it in a breeder box. Since the media was waterlogged it sank the breeder box, and I put a lid on the box so fish would not get in. I ran a sponge filter and a (second) airstone off power banks. When the power came back on, I loaded all the media back into the HOB and turned it on. I still had my cycle. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

Just remember to check your ammonia and nitrite levels daily for a few days. Worst case, you use your prime at 5x the normal dose and do some extra water changes.

I just swapped my HOB for a canister in the 75 and was really scared...I talked to the guy at the fish store -- my idea also was to run them concurrently for a bit, then take off the HOB, but he told me to be daring and just use my HOB media in the canister along with the next "extra" stuff in there and just do the swap. He gave me the above advice. I also have sponges and a Ziss, and I am not cleaning my tank for a bit. I did and so far, so good with just the little canister. But I am compulsively testing my water every 12 hours just in case. Good luck -- I think you'll be OK.

• Like 1