Can Serpae Tetras go with Bettas?

hawgs911

Hello All.  First post.

I just finished establishing a 20 long planted tank that currently houses 6 long-finned Serpaes.

I would like to add a "show piece" fish and I usually go for Bettas but "the internet" says that these fish are fin nippers and shouldn't be housed with fish with long fins like Betts/Gouramis?

I have not seen any aggression out of these guys and they even school with the neons.  Should I try a Betta or any other recommendations for that would work better?

Many Thanks!

20230522_191913.jpg

Edited by hawgs911
image edit
  • Like 1

Hi there @hawgs911, welcome to the forum. The answer is, it depends. Betta are definitely individuals and you can always face aggression from others in a community tank on either side. You could probably try, however might be better to go with a plakat Betta just to not only be on the safe side on the fin issue but plakats are often faster due to their fins being shorter so it would be easier for them to get away. There are some really beautiful options there. The thing is that you would be taking a risk any time you put a Betta in a community tank and need to have a backup plan. So if you cannot return the Betta or you don't have the option to house them separately it may be better not to try. I think the Serpaes are beautiful and you don't really need a centerpiece fish- a group of fish that are beautiful together make a great centerpiece on their own. Whatever you decide to do make sure to update us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly plakat bettas are also not safe option for potential fin nippers. I have 4 plakats, I would not advice to keep them with potential fin nippers.

Also bettas lowest happy temp limit would force the upper limit of tetras and the snail.

That being said, I keep my rosy barbs with my angels and honey gourami. I have never seen any type of nippy action. I even saw rummy nose showing interest to gourami feelers, but rosy barbs, never. Tho my rosy barbs are very angelic and nothing like normal barbs ngl.

So I would skip bettas, and maybe you can try a honey gourami instead, but make sure you have a second plan in case it does not work. Dwarf gouramis are nice looking fish, but just like bettas, their temperament change alot from one fish to another, so that is a risk to take

Edited by Lennie

I've had serpae tetras with pearl gouramis for several years with zero problems.  I firmly believe that most of the reports of serpae tetras being fin nippers come from people keeping them in too small groups, or without adequate hiding places if they feel stressed.

• Thanks 2