Sick dwarf golden barbs (geli barbs)

Ogpulchra2

I bought golden dwarf barbs on Sunday, but didn't realize how bad they looked until I got them home that night. I waited a few weeks after I initially saw that at the LFS and they looked good at the time. 

8 of the 15 look extremely underweight and a few look like they have bent spines. There were 2 dead in the bag by the time I got them home (3 hour drive). I have a picture of one of the dead fish,  but wasn't sure if I should post it. They are extremely skittish, and in a heavily planted quarantine tank, so it's hard to get pictures of them. They do seem to have good appetites and have been eating  black worms and fish flake.

When I start the med trio, should I add expel p, or would that be too much? Really don't want to lose more of them. 

On 5/16/2023 at 8:15 PM, cryptkeeper said:

I bought golden dwarf barbs on Sunday, but didn't realize how bad they looked until I got them home that night. I waited a few weeks after I initially saw that at the LFS and they looked good at the time. 

8 of the 15 look extremely underweight and a few look like they have bent spines. There were 2 dead in the bag by the time I got them home (3 hour drive). I have a picture of one of the dead fish,  but wasn't sure if I should post it. They are extremely skittish, and in a heavily planted quarantine tank, so it's hard to get pictures of them. They do seem to have good appetites and have been eating  black worms and fish flake.

When I start the med trio, should I add expel p, or would that be too much? Really don't want to lose more of them. 

With the symptoms your describing I would just do a deworming treatment I would do two full courses of paracleanse two weeks apart if your not seeing them put on weight after two courses of paracleanse then I would treat with Expel p once a week for 4 weeks I wouldn't do the med trio that more of a preventive treatment 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 12:57 PM, Colu said:

With the symptoms your describing I would just do deworming treatment I would do two full courses of paracleanse two weeks apart if your not seeing them put on weight after two courses of paracleanse then I 

I decided to use Expel-p first since I've used it successfully with pea puffers. I still have 22 of the 29 (went back and got the rest), and they're all putting on weight. The 2 guppy fry that came in with the first batch are still alive and looking healthy. 

Thanks again for your advice. 

20230604_133331.jpg

20230604_133431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:14 PM, DaveO said:

I love your group of Pethia gelius. They look healthy now. Good for you. I also have a herd of them, and enjoy 

I can't wait to get them into a planted community tank! Super happy with them

• Like 1