Aquarium lid

Shrimpee

all of the aqueon versatops are basically cut to "not fit correctly" based on a weird issue.  It's a long story, but you would have a 1/4" gap across the whole length of the lid as well as the plastic strip to work with.  They will all work fine with any hob or canister hose fittings, assuming you can attach them to the glass or potentially the fluval canister where it has the mounting brackets you attach on the rim to keep the correct bend radium. 

Welcome to the forums @Shrimpee! 🙂

On 5/6/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ninjoma said:

I like the aqueon versa tops. It looks like the 30x12 one fits a 20 long. There's a plastic strip at the back that you can drill holes through for tubing.

I tried the aqueon versa top and it didn't have much space between the back panel and the lid door for my light to go on the tank as I have two thick lights. It kept making my light slide everywhere over the tank.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

all of the aqueon versatops are basically cut to "not fit correctly" based on a weird issue.  It's a long story, but you would have a 1/4" gap across the whole length of the lid as well as the plastic strip to work with.  They will all work fine with any hob or canister hose fittings, assuming you can attach them to the glass or potentially the fluval canister where it has the mounting brackets you attach on the rim to keep the correct bend radium. 

Welcome to the forums @Shrimpee! 🙂

Yea I noticed that but it doesn't bother me but the light being blocked is a big issue for me and my plants.

I'm wishy washy on the Aqueon glass tops. They work, but don't always fit right, they're heavy and they're a pain to clean. The advantage is you don't have to do any DIY, just head down to the Petco and pick one up.  The polycarbonate sheets are are good option for DIY. 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

I'm wishy washy on the Aqueon glass tops. They work, but don't always fit right, they're heavy and they're a pain to clean. The advantage is you don't have to do any DIY, just head down to the Petco and pick one up.  The polycarbonate sheets are are good option for DIY. 

That looks like it will work. I might try it out.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:13 PM, Shrimpee said:

Can the polycarbonate be replaced with plexiglass to make it clearer? 

It has a tendency to warp. 

I was also thinking about how many mesh/net tops I’ve seen lately. Some of them look great, and light transmission would be good. That might be an option. I think bulk reef supply sells a kit for different sized aquariums. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, Shrimpee said:

If I get a custom cut glass pane which thickness should I get

I highly cherish my 75G lids.  Glass on those is.... 5/16" thick

10G I measured is only 3/16" thick. (I believe the 20G lids are the same, but I didn't measure mine)  I can if you need the difference.  30" is a long span, that's where the thicker glass really helps.

Edited by nabokovfan87