Shrimp tankmates

Scaperoot

I'm wondering if anyone has had consistent success with keeping Shrimp and Bettas together. We have two Bettas, a female who shares a 20 long with Golden Minnows, and a male who shares a 10 gallon with 4 Pigmy Corydoras. We had a couple shrimp in the 10, but I haven't seen them in weeks. I have not tried adding any to the 20 long. We have another 10 gallon with Nano fish and Shrimp. The 10 Cherry Shrimp we've had there are now about 25-30 shrimp, and I'm wondering where we can move some. Not sure what I can do if the Bettas become aggressive towards them. 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:47 AM, Scaperoot said:

I'm wondering if anyone has had consistent success with keeping Shrimp and Bettas together. We have two Bettas, a female who shares a 20 long with Golden Minnows, and a male who shares a 10 gallon with 4 Pigmy Corydoras. We had a couple shrimp in the 10, but I haven't seen them in weeks. I have not tried adding any to the 20 long. We have another 10 gallon with Nano fish and Shrimp. The 10 Cherry Shrimp we've had there are now about 25-30 shrimp, and I'm wondering where we can move some. Not sure what I can do if the Bettas become aggressive towards them. 

Any fish will eat a shrimp that fits in its mouth, the only "safe shrimp" fish is otocinclus. As long as you can keep cover some shrimp will live while some might get eaten.

Indostomus paradoxus might work, their mouth are so tiny and they are not good hunters, so the shrimplets are reasonably safe 🙂 but is not a beginner fish and requires live food only.  But i would say it is shrimp safe fish

• Love 1

I've heard enough horror stories regarding betta-shrimp combination from my friends to make up for any potential good stories to be honest. I would not combine two together.

I also created a similar topic back then. I'm sharing it below, maybe it helps. 

Long story short, if there is fish, they will eat shrimplets if not the adults.

Edited by Lennie