Help treating popeye in Golden White Cloud

Eric R

Hi all,

One of my golden WCMM has had popeye for a few weeks now. I've tried the treatments I've found here from searches (add salt, add magnesium, treated with a full course of Maracyn) and the swelling hasn't gone down. Parameters are fine - 0 ammonia and nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. He (the fish) swims fine, but has gotten skinnier.

Any suggestions on how to treat/relieve the swelling?

Thanks!

Usually when it only effecting one eye it's caused by an injury as you haven't seen any improvement with maracyn and salt it could be a permanent injury or  it might just need some time to fully as it's losing weight it could have losted the sight in that eye and it's struggling to see the food @Eric R

Edited by Colu

Any way to reduce the swelling? FWIW I've noticed a slight bulge in the other eye, but not nearly as extreme as on the one side. Also could have been caused by an injury I would guess if it bumped into something swimming around the tank.

Edited by Eric R

On 4/16/2023 at 8:10 PM, Eric R said:

Any way to reduce the swelling? FWIW I've noticed a slight bulge in the other eye, but not nearly as extreme as on the one side. Also could have been caused by an injury I would guess if it bumped into something swimming around the tank.

Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days will help reduce the swelling as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant