Jump to content

Moss melt ?


Jackson
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/15/2023 at 5:54 AM, GCH said:

Thanks guys . Anyone know why this algae formed ? My tank has been running well for some time now .

My moss up and grows algae sometimes no matter how long my tank has been running. Moss is great at collecting tiny food particles, mulm etc. then becomes a nutrient rich algae breeding ground. I don’t have as many problems with it when it is directly in the path of flow. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at the moss this morning after the 12 hour soak in seltzer water. Worked pretty good . Had to pull out some of the algae , but seems like allot was removed by the seltzer water . Going to get another bottle and soak the moss again . It left some reddish dead algae , hard to see it when you take the moss out of the tank , but shows well under light . Some damage to the moss pulling out some of the algae that didn't soak away . Take a while for the moss to get all fluffy again . All in all not bad results .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be careful with back to back soaks. That stresses plants. 
RR kills the algae but does not remove it. Some falls off but not all. I find my shrimp snails and grazing fish flock to the dead algae and remove it efficiently. 
Im glad it worked for you. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

Be careful with back to back soaks. That stresses plants. 
RR kills the algae but does not remove it. Some falls off but not all. I find my shrimp snails and grazing fish flock to the dead algae and remove it efficiently. 
Im glad it worked for you. 

Looked like much diminished and seemed easier to remove than when I pulled it out of the tank . Could be my imagination though as it was an algae ball when I took it out . I will wait on another soak on your advise . Guupysnail was right about the food falling in the moss and sitting there cooking . The moss is right under where I feed the fish . My other moss that I push the water sprite over to clear a path for the food is all fine and not effected . Bummer though ,my moss was all growing well and looked really nice . I need to vacume out the moss when I do . Maybe that will help more in the future .

Edited by GCH
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...