Black Phantom Tera not looking good

flyingcow

So this is my first foray into isolating and trying to help a fish. I have a female Black Phantom who has always been a little small, and now she's getting tiny and looking very distressed. I've had her for about 8 months. I have erythromycin and paraclense (I have ich-x as well, but there is no sign of ich). She currently has a long stringy poop she's working out. I'm going to remove the plants and do a quick water change and then move her to the quarantine tank (it's currently plant storage B).

Thoughts? I think she might be beyond saving, but I'd love to try. Pardon the algae. My tank is a lifelong work in progress.

20230410_174213.jpg.241dce3823a81edd7b08b24c8b3676e9.jpg

EDIT: My apologies:

Ammonia / Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20-30 ppm

Kh: 4 degrees

Gh: 8 degrees

pH: 7.4

I did lose a snail last week (about 7 months) but everyone else in the tank (the other snail and the other 9 Black Phantoms plus 5 pandas, 9 Black Neons, and a Bolivian Ram) all look great. I also lost a panda and a black neon on separate occasions within the past 2 months.

Edited by flyingcow

On 4/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, Colu said:

Looks like a bit of a sunken belly that can be a sign of a parasitic infections you will get the odd random deaths weeks apart that would explain your other fish losses what I would do is treat all the fish with paracleanse every two week for a total of three full courses of treatment @flyingcow

That makes sense. Are there side effects I should watch out for when treating the whole tank?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, flyingcow said:

That makes sense. Are there side effects I should watch out for when treating the whole tank?

From my experience paracleanse is safe medication as long as you follow the dosing instructions on the box i haven't had any side effects when I have used it to treat my fish in the past Theirs a small chance it will harm your benefial bacterial so I would test your water parameters more frequently during treatment 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:58 PM, Colu said:

From my experience paracleanse is safe medication as long as you follow the dosing instructions on the box i haven't had any side effects when I have used it to treat my fish in the past Theirs a small chance it will harm your benefial bacterial so would test your water parameters more frequently during treatment 

I dosed round one tonight! 3 packets in a 36 gallon. I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I did the first round of Paraclense last week. I haven't seen the female in about 4 days now, and I don't see a sign of her body, so I'm wondering if it was eaten. I now have a male losing color and starting to behave like she did (staying in a single spot losing weight etc.) He did join the rest to eat this morning, but then went right back to his corner. The plan as noted above by @Colu was to do Paraclense again starting next week. I did order some expel P, so I could do that instead. Thoughts?

Any thoughts on how to determine if I'm battling parasites vs TB? 

20230420_081516.jpg.97821cf0de1ac626513c87da49361e68.jpg

Pardon the algae... the struggle is real...

On 4/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, flyingcow said:

Ok. I did the first round of Paraclense last week. I haven't seen the female in about 4 days now, and I don't see a sign of her body, so I'm wondering if it was eaten. I now have a male losing color and starting to behave like she did (staying in a single spot losing weight etc.) He did join the rest to eat this morning, but then went right back to his corner. The plan as noted above by @Colu was to do Paraclense again starting next week. I did order some expel P, so I could do that instead. Thoughts?

Any thoughts on how to determine if I'm battling parasites vs TB? 

20230420_081516.jpg.97821cf0de1ac626513c87da49361e68.jpg

Pardon the algae... the struggle is real...

With weight loss and hiding away What you could do is  @Odd Duck treatment protocol for parasitic infections

IMG_20230205_003150~2.jpg

IMG_20230205_003211.jpg

IMG_20230205_003233.jpg

• Like 2