Colorful MTS at my lfs!

Lennie

Today, I've noticed that only in one tank at my lfs there is these malaysian trumpet snails, which actually had blue-ish shining foot, and their shells looked very interesting too! Looked like they have a color of rainbow

Has anyone seen these guys before? They were pretty.

image.jpeg.69d8a4b4f4329d5839ca24d0fb6db848.jpeg

image.jpeg.359c634f5a35cc7b6f1ea93f49d56510.jpeg

@Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Cinnebuns snail peeps unite and check this out! 😄

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 4/9/2023 at 11:56 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

You sure it is a MTS and not a baby rabbit?

Yup! Rabbits are in different tank, and there were soo many mts there. 

I have both rabbits and mts myself. def not rabbits 

On 4/9/2023 at 11:59 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Well then in that case please go by those because they look great. 

They really do!! I have seen so many different MTS before but nothing like them. But holy cow their tank was full of babies lol. I am not introducing MTS to my new tanks intentionally.

Even tho they are beautiful, it can be an eyesore after some time. 

Also in my personal experience, MTS makes no different on algae really. But they are indeed great at cleaning any extra  food or dead fish/shrimp/snails. So they help with water quality in that regard. Other than that, idk...

Edited by Lennie

On 4/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, Lennie said:

They really do!! I have seen so many different MTS before but nothing like them. But holy cow their tank was full of babies lol. I am not introducing MTS to my new tanks intentionally.

Even tho they are beautiful, it can be an eyesore after some time. 

Also in my personal experience, MTS makes no different on algae really. But they are indeed great at cleaning any extra  food or dead fish/shrimp/snails. So they help with water quality in that regard. Other than that, idk...

There is a reason why MTS means Malaysian trumpet snails and multiple tank syndrome, you needn’t put these new snails in your existing tanks, the answer is to set up a whole new tank

• 1 month later...

Update on these guys:

I went to my LFS today again and checked their tank. They just look amazing. I had a chance to take a pic from the side this time:

image.jpeg.088a0663b04a7e49fc795e7489aa3b23.jpeg

Look at the shell color and how green their foot is.

• Like 4

I found one randomly in my tank last week  and I hadn’t added anything (fish or plants) to the tank in weeks and I always reverse respire the plants. I could NOT harm it because it had a cute little face. 😂 I am letting it live with the shrimps so it can “make” (literally) friends and clean the substrate because the shrimplets are clear and I can’t see them to safely do the siphoning. 

0B531177-D97B-46BC-B0C7-E55E9C1B1B20.jpeg.103242d438a22b3de83ae86aa3ae04fb.jpeg

I realize I could have like 1 million soon. LOL

I may have to eventually look for nearby hobbyists who have puffers or something. Idk, we will see. I wrote down the date I added it to the shrimp tank so I can sort of gauge how long it takes for the friends to show up. Hehe

I think its shell is pretty too. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I found one randomly in my tank last week  and I hadn’t added anything (fish or plants) to the tank in weeks and I always reverse respire the plants. I could NOT harm it because it had a cute little face. 😂 I am letting it live with the shrimps so it can “make” (literally) friends and clean the substrate because the shrimplets are clear and I can’t see them to safely do the siphoning. 

0B531177-D97B-46BC-B0C7-E55E9C1B1B20.jpeg.103242d438a22b3de83ae86aa3ae04fb.jpeg

I realize I could have like 1 million soon. LOL

I may have to eventually look for nearby hobbyists who have puffers or something. Idk, we will see. I wrote down the date I added it to the shrimp tank so I can sort of gauge how long it takes for the friends to show up. Hehe

I think its shell is pretty too. 

Very pretty for sure. As long as you don't keep them in a big tank with lots of food, it will be fine. At least won't spread to your other tanks 😄 

This is how mine look like:

image.jpeg.c9c78dbaea58c1692b17ece9904367c3.jpeg

I love how different MTS shells are. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel like MTS (the snails not the syndrome) is one of those catch-all names that could include literally dozens or hundreds of actual species. 

[new tab... tap+click... woah 🤓😲] The first hit for MTS's latin name is Melanoides tuberculata. So I click on the genus name (Melanoides), and wikipedia spits back 89 species in that genus (copy and paste to excel, count the rows; 🤓 again). Of course there will be more that aren't wiki-worthy. And there will be tons of other snails that are similar but in different genera. I myself have never had the traditional MTS, but I do have at least two other types that are similar. And that's not including chopstick or rabbit snails, which are also in my menagerie. 

So I don't think we should be surprised to see "new" types, but surprised we don't see more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1