Will This Grow My Plants?

I wanted to get back into aquariums after almost 5 years. I have very very little money and I live in a tiny town where I have a hard time finding anything. I traveled 2 hours out of town and used my savings to buy a 10-gallon tank, lid, and all the main essentials, plus some Fluval Bio-Stratum plant substrate and a couple of anubias. I didn't have enough money to get any of the lights I looked at but I recalled that I still had a light at home in a box that I never used on previous aquariums.

Once I got back home I realized the light I had was terrible so I went to my local Walmart and bought the best (non-aquarium) grow light I could find (and afford). It's a "Feit Electric LED 32W 8" Adjustable Full Spectrum Clamp Grow Light". It's a LED that claims to be 2400 lumens, 6500K, and use 32 watts of power. I have it mounted 6-8" above my aquarium.

I'll admit I've forgotten EVERYTHING I once knew about aquarium lighting so my question is, should this be sufficient to grow plants like anubias, water wisteria, dwarf saggitaria, micro swords, etc?

I need to get my plants in good shape before my cycle completes and I add some fish friends.

Hi @Rozmere, welcome to the forum! I wouldn't worry too much. I KNOW the anubias will be fine because mine can often be in dark corners and low light and they are still great. Dwarf sag is often mentioned as a "beginner plant" still fine IMO. Water wisteria I think is pretty bullet proof. The micro I'm not sure about but my regular swords do fine with medium light. Lots of people use lights similar to what I can see on walmart's website. Building a tank on a budget can be very challenging and fun. I think you'll be fine! :classic_biggrin:

You must start a journal and post your project! If you need help once the light is up and tank going we can help you tweek it if needed! 

On 4/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi @Rozmere, welcome to the forum! I wouldn't worry too much. I KNOW the anubias will be fine because mine can often be in dark corners and low light and they are still great. Dwarf sag is often mentioned as a "beginner plant" still fine IMO. Water wisteria I think is pretty bullet proof. The micro I'm not sure about but my regular swords do fine with medium light. Lots of people use lights similar to what I can see on walmart's website. Building a tank on a budget can be very challenging and fun. I think you'll be fine! :classic_biggrin:

You must start a journal and post your project! If you need help once the light is up and tank going we can help you tweek it if needed! 

Thank you for the encouraging words. I've had aquariums for most of my 50 years of life but have been out of it for the last 5 so I'm eager to have some fish friends again. 😃

• Love 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Awesome! Welcome back to the hobby! What kind of fish are you thinking about stocking?

Well, I plan to start with long fin leopard danios, maybe some banded khuli loaches (if I can find them anywhere), not sure beyond that yet, it'll be quite a while before I can afford any other tanks : (

Well, don't fret, 10 gallon tanks are so fun! I so want to do Kuhlis!I have a 12, 10, 7 and 9 gallon (besides my two 20s) and they are wonderful! So many fun nano options for them and they're easier to create small worlds you can get lost in. Like the last one I did, the "Medieval" tank

20230326_142928.jpg.0f36246d36b56f90ca46f89216a92b0b.jpg

Or my 7 gallon Betta the "Dragon" tank 20230326_143953.jpg.075c0bb4935b538f503192e1a02ccec6.jpg

You have plenty to play with while you save up for another AND to ME - one of the best parts is planning a new tank and researching all the inhabitants!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX