Apisto Eye Bulge

WeehawkenFish

Hey all, below are some pics.  I got a pair of Apistos about a month ago and I've been in love with them.  I'm concerned because the last 48 hours I've noticed the female's left eye is bulging out pretty far, and it's showing a lot of white coloration behind the eyeball.  I've noticed some great "pairing" behavior between the two since getting them (especially after feeding bloodworms) but nothing has been aggressive at all.  Just the male showing his colors to her, some affectionate pecking, and the occasional tail whip.  I'm sure it's possible that he did this while I wasn't looking, but everything I've observed has been very playful and non-aggressive.

It's probably worth noting that I got a few ottos about 2 weeks ago and subsequently had an outbreak of ich.  The Apistos seemed to be un-phased by it, but the ottos spread the ich to my cardinal tetras so I treated with Ich-X for about 5 days last week and it all has disappeared.  Do you think this could be ich remanence?  Or could the male maybe have done this during courtship?  I don't want to lose her because this pair is really beautiful.  

20201106_221039.jpg

20201106_221724.jpg

20201106_221734.jpg

20201106_221028.jpg

20201106_221037.jpg

55 minutes ago, WeehawkenFish said:

Hey all, below are some pics.  I got a pair of Apistos about a month ago and I've been in love with them.  I'm concerned because the last 48 hours I've noticed the female's left eye is bulging out pretty far, and it's showing a lot of white coloration behind the eyeball.  I've noticed some great "pairing" behavior between the two since getting them (especially after feeding bloodworms) but nothing has been aggressive at all.  Just the male showing his colors to her, some affectionate pecking, and the occasional tail whip.  I'm sure it's possible that he did this while I wasn't looking, but everything I've observed has been very playful and non-aggressive.

It's probably worth noting that I got a few ottos about 2 weeks ago and subsequently had an outbreak of ich.  The Apistos seemed to be un-phased by it, but the ottos spread the ich to my cardinal tetras so I treated with Ich-X for about 5 days last week and it all has disappeared.  Do you think this could be ich remanence?  Or could the male maybe have done this during courtship?  I don't want to lose her because this pair is really beautiful.  

20201106_221039.jpg

20201106_221724.jpg

20201106_221734.jpg

20201106_221028.jpg

Looks like popeye. This can be caused by poor water qualities. The poor water qualities is probably not so much your fault because it most likely came from not using a water conditioner or using a water conditioner that is obviously not working. Stuff like chlorine or chlorimine may cause something like this.

For Treatment I would do the following:

-Treat with Aquarium Salt

-Feed Quality Food

-Use api maracyn

-MOST IMPORTANTLY use another water conditioner (it may just be that your water conditioner expired) 

Here are some water conditioners I have used in the past or present and have found they work very well

-Fritz Complete

-Seachem Prime Water Conditioner 

https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Complete-Water-Conditioner-16oz/dp/B00G7RH1RU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fritz+complete&sr=8-1

Hope This helps,

🙂 

2 minutes ago, James Black said:

Looks like popeye. This can be caused by poor water qualities. The poor water qualities is probably not so much your fault because it most likely came from not using a water conditioner or using a water conditioner that is obviously not working. Stuff like chlorine or chlorimine may cause something like this.

For Treatment I would do the following:

-Treat with Aquarium Salt

-Feed Quality Food

-Use api maracyn

-MOST IMPORTANTLY use another water conditioner (it may just be that your water conditioner expired) 

Here are some water conditioners I have used in the past or present and have found they work very well

-Fritz Complete

-Seachem Prime Water Conditioner 

https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Complete-Water-Conditioner-16oz/dp/B00G7RH1RU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fritz+complete&sr=8-1

Hope This helps,

🙂 

1 hour ago, WeehawkenFish said:

20201106_221039.jpg

20201106_221724.jpg

20201106_221734.jpg

20201106_221028.jpg

20201106_221037.jpg

and I forgot one thing,

pop eye can  be used by over feeding!

@James Blackthanks, I use Prime, and I just bought it a month ago so I don't think that's the case.  I also check parameters weekly and haven't had any major issues, but I'll go with the idea that it's over feeding.  Since I work from home I probably feed a little too much.

I will try to treat with maracyn.  Can't use salt because I have a planted tank.

11 hours ago, WeehawkenFish said:

@James Blackthanks, I use Prime, and I just bought it a month ago so I don't think that's the case.  I also check parameters weekly and haven't had any major issues, but I'll go with the idea that it's over feeding.  Since I work from home I probably feed a little too much.

I will try to treat with maracyn.  Can't use salt because I have a planted tank.

I would move the fish with pop eye to like a hospital tank. Just because your other fish in that tank may not like those meds because they are not sick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update in case anyone has any suggestions.  My apisto seems to be getting worse, she constantly is hiding in the corner or behind the HOB filter pump.  She occasionally will come out to eat, but it's definitely not her normal behavior.  I dosed a full box of maracyn last week, waited a couple days, and I'm now on day 2 of Paraguard.  Really hoping this helps, but so far the popeye looks the same and she just hides all the time.

20201117_131547.jpg.5ded7b5bd0861f0d5fc45e463e9d6cec.jpg