Betta Mirrors? Yay or Nay??

xXInkedPhoenixX

So I'd made a purchase at a big box store but ended up not needing the items- instead of getting the money back I purchased a couple of different things I thought I could use. One of which is a Betta mirror. Now a lot of you know I have rescued some Betta and I have a resident Betta. I've seen these things around --even @Cory and his store sell them on their website. 

My Nay Thoughts: I'm struggling as to whether I should even use it though. My instincts in the past have been that something like this would only stress a Betta out and not in a helpful way (though you are only supposed to use them for a VERY limited amount of time). That it might make them more aggressive if they are in a community tank. Or make them even more frustrated if they're alone. I also have felt people only used them for their own entertainment or picture taking time, or meaning well but not knowing whether it's good for them or not. 

My Yay Thoughts: I had a local breeder in another forum (though I'm not breeding) say that it's beneficial when trying to get male/female Betta to spawn, showing the male a mirror will bring out the the protective side of the male and will have less aggression towards the female. This made sense. Other sites say it can alleviate boredom. Some say this sort of brief temporary "stress" can help a Betta (some say it helps rid a Betta of self-afflicted fin nipping so I thought about you @Chick-In-Of-TheSea and Gepetto). I also saw that some sites say it can alleviate constipation though I wasn't sure how other than tensing muscles even in humans can help pass a 💩

One thing we Betta keepers know FOR SURE is that every Betta is VERY different so maybe it's beneficial for some but definitely not for others. They are individuals with different needs. 

What are your thoughts community? Anyone with EXPERIENCE using mirrors and what are your observations. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one that was nipping its own tail and the mirror seemed to help with that when used once-in-awhile.  Usually my daughter asked to do it so she'd let him flare at it for a couple minutes (if that, usually he wouldn't go after it for longer than... 30 seconds, maybe?) and then take it back out.  Maybe... a couple times a week?  Unfortunately, he didn't last too long.  I don't think that had anything to do with the mirror, though!

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, jwcarlson said:

Unfortunately, he didn't last too long.

Aww bummer, unfortunately not uncommon. 

On 3/29/2023 at 11:06 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This is also how I know he cannot have a tankmate.

HA! That's awesome! Yeah that's why I'm not sure I'd show it to my Betta who are in community tanks. Though some sites say it can help reduce aggression. Again I think that depends on the personality of the fish. 

• Like 1