Suggestions on Aquarium Stand (fish room v1).

TCoach

So, starting to get more interested in trying to breed several of my fish for fun and profit (hopefully 🙂).  After watching some of Cory's videos on his early fish rooms, I'm looking at using his cinder block rack and building one rack to hold my tanks.  For the most part, all of these tanks I already own (I might be short 1 20H tank).  I'm big into saltwater (have a 92 gallon reef), and want to use an extra sump I have with this rack.  This will allow me to run a single pair of heaters to heat the entire rack instead of heating each tank.  Currently, the rack will be in my office which is part of our in-law suite, and I plan to keep the room heated/cooled into the mid 70's.  I'd love to use the heat the room, not the tank principle.

Anyway, here is my initial design.  Please give me any constructive suggestions you might have.

image.png.2347db88990cb5c1482b1ed4267ca1b9.png

Green lines are supply, red are returns.  

The red line out of the sump will be a selenoid controlled drain on the sump to allow me to do automated water changes.  When it is opened, the sump will drain out and the auto-topoff will keep the pump chamber filled with fresh water.  This will allow all tanks to water change at once and only use a single pump for all circulation.

Each tank will be connected to the pump and use drip irrigation emitters to control the flow into each tank.  I'm hoping that a 1-2x turn over an hour should be sufficient.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

TCoach

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 8:58 AM, TCoach said:

So, starting to get more interested in trying to breed several of my fish for fun and profit (hopefully 🙂).  After watching some of Cory's videos on his early fish rooms, I'm looking at using his cinder block rack and building one rack to hold my tanks.  For the most part, all of these tanks I already own (I might be short 1 20H tank).  I'm big into saltwater (have a 92 gallon reef), and want to use an extra sump I have with this rack.  This will allow me to run a single pair of heaters to heat the entire rack instead of heating each tank.  Currently, the rack will be in my office which is part of our in-law suite, and I plan to keep the room heated/cooled into the mid 70's.  I'd love to use the heat the room, not the tank principle.

Anyway, here is my initial design.  Please give me any constructive suggestions you might have.

image.png.2347db88990cb5c1482b1ed4267ca1b9.png

Green lines are supply, red are returns.  

The red line out of the sump will be a selenoid controlled drain on the sump to allow me to do automated water changes.  When it is opened, the sump will drain out and the auto-topoff will keep the pump chamber filled with fresh water.  This will allow all tanks to water change at once and only use a single pump for all circulation.

Each tank will be connected to the pump and use drip irrigation emitters to control the flow into each tank.  I'm hoping that a 1-2x turn over an hour should be sufficient.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

TCoach

Looking good! I have had the same rack system with cinder blocks going for about 4-5 years I think and it works very well for me

• Like 2