New Guppy Fry and Impending Move to New Home

Shadow

As I stated in a previous post, I am moving soon. I would combo this onto that thread, but this is a multi fold question...more for breeding plus also the move. 

1, As the fry are very active(the adults are not paying them attention so they are swimming about the surface) should I go ahead and move them to a small nano cube(3.4 gal) that I have for safekeeping, also ease with my move in a few weeks?

2, How soon should they be moved? I have a couple that are over a week old and the rest were born about 5 days ago. 

3, If I leave them put, should I transport with adult fish or with shrimp/snails? I was thinking the latter. 

Appreciate the help, but as they are here I want to make sure as many survive as I can help. Really cool seeing them swimming about, although at this age they all look female. 😂

On 3/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, Shadow said:

1, As the fry are very active(the adults are not paying them attention so they are swimming about the surface) should I go ahead and move them to a small nano cube(3.4 gal) that I have for safekeeping, also ease with my move in a few weeks?

Definitely makes sense to me.  Easier to care and feed them, make sure they eat, and are ready for the move.  You also can easily move them to something like a hang on breeder box (or internal one) once you have something setup for the fish in general.  Even a tub, floating breeder box works well too.

2, How soon should they be moved? I have a couple that are over a week old and the rest were born about 5 days ago. 

Very difficult to say.  I would try to wait as long as possible.  Preferably a few weeks if you can at all.

3, If I leave them put, should I transport with adult fish or with shrimp/snails? I was thinking the latter. 

It depends on how many containers, how far of a trip you have to make.  It might make sense to get bags and to pack the fish up in an ice chest.  It might make sense to use tubs (or buckets) with lids and an airstone.  I try to keep things as minimally full as I can just to reduce ammonia as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 So, if they are a couple weeks the move should be ok on them when I go to move? Should I go ahead and move them to Nano Cube now even tho they are only about 6 days old now or just wait to do for future reference? Also, I bought brand new buckets for everything, so thinking they will go with shrimp and snails. I plan to feed them very minimally the morning before the move so they are less likely to have ammonia spikes. I am only moving 30 mins away...planned on using air stones for both livestock buckets. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 4:51 PM, Shadow said:

@nabokovfan87 So, if they are a couple weeks the move should be ok on them when I go to move? Should I go ahead and move them to Nano Cube now even tho they are only about 6 days old now or just wait to do for future reference?

I wouldn't move them until they have fins and are fully formed. If you can use something like a specimen container and move them that way just be gentle as you can and that should work to move them if you need to.

The go to method is usually a turkey baster, depends on size of course. The preference is to keep them in water as opposed to using a net at this stage.

On the corydoras I waited until they are a certain size, fully formed, but I understand the situation you're in is slightly different. Mine were in a breeder box and didn't have to be moved to be protected in the tank.  I would mull it over and think about how, then decide what you want to do.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 7:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I wouldn't move them until they have fins and are fully formed. If you can use something like a specimen container and move them that way just be gentle as you can and that should work to move them if you need to.

The go to method is usually a turkey baster, depends on size of course. The preference is to keep them in water as opposed to using a net at this stage.

On the corydoras I waited until they are a certain size, fully formed, but I understand the situation you're in is slightly different. Mine were in a breeder box and didn't have to be moved to be protected in the tank.  I would mull it over and think about how, then decide what you want to do.

Yea understood. You can actually see their fins pretty well honestly. They are tiny but looking at them I can see little fins on the back and sides. Just all of them look female to me lol. I will probably just leave them be and them move them in a couple weeks, hope for the best. I will get a turkey baster unless they are too big by then and I might improvise with something else. I have a breeder box, but it wouldn't fit in this tank with all the plants(its the one you have seen video of FYI). 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How big are they?

They are still small, but I can definitely see little blue fins on the tail fins especially. Here's some pics, hard to focus on them but got some pretty clear ones. 

20230328_192359.jpg

20230328_192404.jpg

20230328_192426.jpg

20230328_192429.jpg

• Love 1