Gold/Three spot Gouramis!

Lennie

Hey guys,

Hope you are doing well.

I wanted to ask about some personal experiences regarding gold/three spot gouramis. I know they have a reputation of being a bit agressive, however my LFS has a community display tank with some 3 spots in it, and they always seem very peaceful!

I wanted to learn your experiences, whether you have kept them in a community tank, and if you did, how was their temperament versus others in the tank and between each other?

What is the ideal min group size/m:f ration of them? Keeping them in a group helps with agression or makes it worse?

Thanks for the help.

Here is a cute picture from online: 

Gold Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus) Fish Profile & Care Guide

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Cinnebuns did you keep golds?

I haven't had experience with them in particular.

On 3/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, Lennie said:

What is the ideal min group size/m:f ration of them?

I believe it's 2-3 per male, but hopefully someone else can comment to clarify!

related blog:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-5-gouramis

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/honey-gourami

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 3/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Cinnebuns did you keep golds?

I haven't had experience with them in particular.

I believe it's 2-3 per male, but hopefully someone else can comment to clarify!

related blog:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-5-gouramis

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/honey-gourami

Well, they are def not on that “peaceful gouramis” list! 😄

That’s actually my concern. How aggressive they actually are? 

They are quite popular in the hobby but seems like noone really kept them here 🤔 

I like pearl gouramis too, but to get them, I have to go for another lfs that I do not trust the stock a lot tbh.

I have kept a gold three-spot gourami for roughly 2 hours before I realized I had made a mistake and my tank was not large enough and i gave it back.  So this will not be based on experience but research and being part of multiple gourami groups. 

Yes, three spot are not peaceful like pearl. That said, you can get lucky with a peaceful one. Think of it like asking if a betta can go in a community tank. Some yes and some no. It's hard to say. 

On 3/24/2023 at 3:20 PM, Lennie said:

What is the ideal min group size/m:f ration of them? Keeping them in a group helps with agression or makes it worse?

To my knowledge,  they are like other gourami in that they do best in a trio of 2F and 1M. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I got me 1m:2f three spots couple months ago. My 3 spots live with a honey gourami and female betta sorority in a 160 Liter tank. 

So far, I have not observed any agression even between these species. Only time I have seen any chasing action was male 3spot chasing females for max 2 seconds and that's it. That's not really anything aggressive. My rams were much more aggressive.

However, my LFS said they removed their three spots from one of their display tanks to another before because they were aggressive. So maybe I'm lucky. Maybe just for now. Who knows. Ive tried so many stuff that have a bad reputation but all worked very well for me. But Ive always had many backup plans while trying these.

Def wouldn't recommend keeping different labyrinth fish together to a newbie without enough experience and backup plan.

I may update this in the future if anything goes wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

For the past couple days, Ive noticed Agave, my honey gourami, spending most of its time stuck in a corner. Normally he is a free spirit. He is everywhere in every tank he has been so far, no matter what size the tank is. 

I have never witnessed a gold gourami bullying another species whenever I was around and only witnessed some slight agression between their own trio, but I suspect maybe they were pushy against Agave so he does not feel comfy anymore. Or maybe he is just scared of the big guys? I really don't know. Maybe I am just overthinking.

Anyway, I love him too much so I moved Agave to another tank where he will be enjoying his time again. 

On 3/25/2023 at 2:17 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I have kept a gold three-spot gourami for roughly 2 hours before I realized I had made a mistake and my tank was not large enough and i gave it back.  So this will not be based on experience but research and being part of multiple gourami groups. 

Yes, three spot are not peaceful like pearl. That said, you can get lucky with a peaceful one. Think of it like asking if a betta can go in a community tank. Some yes and some no. It's hard to say. 

To my knowledge,  they are like other gourami in that they do best in a trio of 2F and 1M. 

My daughter-in-law had a 3-spot in a community that turned aggressive, and was terrorizing just about every other fish in the tank.  She moved him to her African cichlid tank.  He wasn't nearly as tough in there.

On 9/5/2023 at 4:18 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

That’s a really cool tank; I love what you ve done with the wood! 

Thank you, cories make a mess with aquasoil part but pther than that, all good 🙂

On 9/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, JettsPapa said:

My daughter-in-law had a 3-spot in a community that turned aggressive, and was terrorizing just about every other fish in the tank.  She moved him to her African cichlid tank.  He wasn't nearly as tough in there.

Maybe female bettas and angels are tough enough to keep them in check. Honey gourami is just so sweet and innocent? Idk

I really havent seen them making even a single move to someone - yet

Edited by Lennie

• 4 months later...

I am dropping this topic here as an update for anyone who may read this. Things sadly went pretty negative gradually. I had to experience why they are called aggressive. You may find what my experience turned into gradually.

On 9/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, JettsPapa said:

I see your point there. Right now the all other options in the tank are betta, two angels, one discus and one m apistogramma cacautoides. And yes bully female cant do anything to any cichlid because they are, well, cichlids. At least until today. They dont care each other with the betta too still