Shrimp vase?

Now that the blue dreams have bred, I see I have some wild type. 

FEBD0989-8736-47E7-8488-D54F1492B1A8.jpeg.4c504f700ce6b0617c7ebb00c679fd3d.jpeg

1CA157C5-7F9D-4007-8927-3F88CAC0D715.jpeg.f66550f6749c1e890da29b248a4430a7.jpeg

I am interested in separating those out so blue genetics continue on. I’m looking to make a small, cost efficient setup for the wilds.

The LFS has bare bottom vases that they keep a few plants in (ie: subwassertang, anacharis, hornwort, etc) and these vases contain shrimp. I noticed the vases do not have heaters or filtration. But I am not sure if this is because they have frequent shrimp sales.

Has anyone created a shrimp vase before and how did you do it? What lighting would you suggest for the plants? I was thinking desk lamp but something that doesn’t get too hot (CFL?)

Alternatively a small cube tank but I’m wary about the built in filters. Some reviews report that shrimplets got sucked in. 😢

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 3/20/2023 at 5:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Now that the blue dreams have bred, I see I have some wild type. 

FEBD0989-8736-47E7-8488-D54F1492B1A8.jpeg.4c504f700ce6b0617c7ebb00c679fd3d.jpeg

1CA157C5-7F9D-4007-8927-3F88CAC0D715.jpeg.f66550f6749c1e890da29b248a4430a7.jpeg

I am interested in separating those out so blue genetics continue on. I’m looking to make a small, cost efficient setup for the wilds.

The LFS has bare bottom vases that they keep a few plants in (ie: subwassertang, anacharis, hornwort, etc) and these vases contain shrimp. I noticed the vases do not have heaters or filtration. But I am not sure if this is because they have frequent shrimp sales.

Has anyone created a shrimp vase before and how did you do it? What lighting would you suggest for the plants? I was thinking desk lamp but something that doesn’t get too hot (CFL?)

Alternatively a small cube tank but I’m wary about the built in filters. Some reviews report that shrimplets got sucked in. 😢

you can remove the filters with a razor blade.

as an alternate solution, you can send me the culled shrimp 😄

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

True, but you pay a bunch of extra money for the tank because they have a filter. Some are pretty pricey, and they are only small tanks.

hmmm...

🤔

i have a 2.6gallon tank sitting empty in my room right now that i cant setup, i could take the filter out of that,and send it to you

one problem

i just dont trust myself to ship a glass tank.

High turnover and little to no feeding often are what happens at pet shops in the filterless plant/ shrimp tanks from what I have seen. 

I have done ocean spray 1/2 gallon jugs with shrimp or scuds. They do great but the key I found is bladder or any pest snail, a sliver of wood, handful seasoned gravel from a tank and an airstone. Very light feeding of fry food (tooth pick tip) 1x a week in a container that small. The shrimp eat what grows on the snail poo and the extra light feed keeps the snails from producing lots of babies)  I also include a really fast growing plant like guppy grass or hornwort and let it fill the space. Some folks do this without an airstone. I’m cautious and use airstones but no filter because the only thing worse smelling than a deceased snail is deceased snails and shrimp in stagnant water……oh wait I shipped that to you accidentally in some plants this summer 😲🤣

Oh I set mine on a window ledge for light 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

High turnover and little to no feeding often are what happens at pet shops in the filterless plant/ shrimp tanks from what I have seen. 

I have done ocean spray 1/2 gallon jugs with shrimp or scuds. They do great but the key I found is bladder or any pest snail, a sliver of wood, handful seasoned gravel from a tank and an airstone. Very light feeding of fry food (tooth pick tip) 1x a week in a container that small. The shrimp eat what grows on the snail poo and the extra light feed keeps the snails from producing lots of babies)  I also include a really fast growing plant like guppy grass or hornwort and let it fill the space. Some folks do this without an airstone. I’m cautious and use airstones but no filter because the only thing worse smelling than a deceased snail is deceased snails and shrimp in stagnant water……oh wait I shipped that to you accidentally in some plants this summer 😲🤣

Only one problem @Guppysnail. I am notorious for overfeeding! 😂 Although I did learn to do the tip of a toothpick measurement with the bacter ae. 

& I did indeed notice the “aroma” In that shipment 💩

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea and @Guppysnail I picked up an old formal ornate punch bowl at the thrift store. I put a round UGF for a fish bowl and an extra air stone or 2, and several handfuls of pebble substrate to hold the UGF in place.  I toss my duckweeds culls and brown snail culls from my tanks in there, and an occasional lily pad clipping. Every so often the bulk of the snail go to some who feeds goldfish or puffers or whatever. It in near my tanks, so gets random stray light. no heater and just a few air lines. Because of the plants being added, it really doesn't need much light. The ornate carving on the glass makes it hard to tell what exactly is in it, which works for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

I think I will do this @Guppysnail.  I could use these things I already have on hand: vase, NEW gravel, slimy & gross ceramic media 🙂 , tank water, chunk of driftwood from a tank, piece of extra cholla, catappa leaf, anacharis (always anacharis... !) ,extra nano pumps & airstone.  I would just need a light and a flow control valve for the air (no windowsill is large enough or "cat free") plus I would like some fresh moss; the moss I have has seen better days (it looks kinda sad) - I think Worcester Terrariums used a cfl bulb in a desk lamp when he made his submerged setup w/ bladder snails. Serpa might have done something similar?

• Like 1

Here was one I did this summer. This photo was before I added a airstone. Winter that window has a draft so gets too cold to keep it. This was bladder snails seed shrimp and scuds. However it’s the same setup I use for shrimp. 

9CE090A7-0C19-485F-9BED-2F3A5E45A653.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

If you're wanting something for the cull shrimp I'd suggest a small tank with just an inexpensive LED light.  I have a 5.5 gallon tank on my desk at work that's been doing just fine like that for almost two years (no mechanical filtration or air stone).  Several weeks ago I took 70 shrimp out of it to sell to a neighbor, and the population was by no means decimated by removing that many.

• Like 3