Several fish spitting out food after ammonia spike

FishGuy919

On 4/22/2023 at 1:39 PM, FishGuy919 said:

Hmm interesting. Okay based on that I think I will go ahead and start treatment with Prazipro. Hopefully the leopard's eating will improve and then I can possibly start the Maracyn2.

Gill flukes can cause the Gill's to become pale and  inflamed hampering the regular breathing process if a fish is having problems flapping his Gill's naturally he may spit food out due to the limitations

Dang, another fish in my tank is about to go, the ornate ctenopoma. He usually hides a lot and only comes out to eat, although i haven't seen him eating the last few days. I saw him on the bottom of the tank and he wasn't able to control the way he swims and he was gasping for air. So far I have lost fish exhibiting the exact same symptoms: 4 congo tetras, 1 leopard, and 1 ornate is about to go. So far the upside down catfish and my shrimp appear to be unaffected (maybe thats a clue). I started the prazipro on Saturday and I will go ahead and start the maracyn2 today in case an internal bacterial infection is spreading.  😞

@Colu

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2023 at 8:47 AM, Colu said:

It could be flukes with some of the symptoms your describing possible a bacterial internal bacterial infections what I would do is treat with prazipro once a week for 3 weeks and do a course of maracyn2 in food to cover all 

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

@Colu for the Maracyn2 is a quarter of a packet the daily dose I should give to my tank? Or do i make a big batch of food for the entire week and only give a quarter of a packet for the entire week?

On 4/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, FishGuy919 said:

@Colu for the Maracyn2 is a quarter of a packet the daily dose I should give to my tank? Or do i make a big batch of food for the entire week and only give a quarter of a packet for the entire week?

It a quarter of a packet every time you make a new batch of the medicated food not daily 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, Colu said:

It a quarter of a packet every time you make a new batch of the medicated food not daily 

Okay just to make sure i understand.  1 tablespoon of brine shrimp with the other ingredients mentioned, Mix in 1/4 of a packet of Maracyn2. Feed the brine shrimp in small quantities throughout the week. If I run out of the brine shrimp in the week i can just make some more. Is this correct?

On 4/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, FishGuy919 said:

Okay just to make sure i understand.  1 tablespoon of brine shrimp with the other ingredients mentioned, Mix in 1/4 of a packet of Maracyn2. Feed the brine shrimp in small quantities throughout the week. If I run out of the brine shrimp in the week i can just make some more. Is this correct?

Yes that correct 

On 4/24/2023 at 10:16 AM, Colu said:

Sorry to hear that hopefully the medication I recommended get this shorted and you don't lose any more fish @FishGuy919

Appreciate all of your help. The leopard and the puffer our like 'my main' fish, not that the others are unimportant, i just care about those 2 the most. They are both doing a lot better. The leopard swallowed a big chunk of shrimp today, and the puffer isnt eating other stuff but he ate a whole snail. They are both being active and seem fine. It's just the mystery deaths im worried now and they seem to be spreading. Hoping for the best. Again, thanks so much!

On 4/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, FishGuy919 said:

Appreciate all of your help. The leopard and the puffer our like 'my main' fish, not that the others are unimportant, i just care about those 2 the most. They are both doing a lot better. The leopard swallowed a big chunk of shrimp today, and the puffer isnt eating other stuff but he ate a whole snail. They are both being active and seem fine. It's just the mystery deaths im worried now and they seem to be spreading. Hoping for the best. Again, thanks so much!

If often difficult to pin point cause it just a process of elimination with symptoms your fish have hopefully medication I recommended will have the desired effect keep me updated if you notice any other symptoms 

From what I have read Scuds  can be used as an intermediate host by some types  parasites chance is small that they would reinfect your fish   I have no experience with Scuds as far sensitivity  to medication treatment might crash your culture I would just leave it for a minimum of 4 weeks before feeding  scuds from this tank @FishGuy919

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect

On 4/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, Colu said:

From what I have read Scuds  can be used as an intermediate host by some types  parasites chance is small that they would reinfect your fish   I have no experience with Scuds as far sensitivity  to mediation treatment might crash your culture I would just leave it for a minimum of 4 weeks before feeding  scuds from this tank @FishGuy919

Sounds good. I will also run this question by Dan at Dan's fish on his next live stream since he cultures and feeds scuds to his fish. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, FishGuy919 said:

Sounds good. I will also run this question by Dan at Dan's fish on his next live stream since he cultures and feeds scuds to his fish. I'll let you know what he says. Thanks again.

@Colu Dan said he doesn't treat his scuds and hasn't had any issues with scuds transmitting disease to his fish.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 5:17 PM, FishGuy919 said:

@Colu

Video of the Leopard struggling to eat fish flakes.

My puffer isnt eating so I put in a snail trying to see if he would eat. I also show the leopards white spots at the end. 

Idk if you get compliments for that but you have a pretty cool voice dude. 

Hope your fish get better asap! They are adorable. Do they have names?

@Colu Lost another juvenile congo tetra. It seemed fine last night but this morning it was belly up. So the fish I have lost are 5 congo tetras and 1 leopard. They all were juveniles that came from the same LFS. I bought the congos maybe about 4 months ago and the leopard about 5 months ago. 

All my other fish didnt come from that store. The puffer and the ornate are from Dan's fish and my adult leopard is over 8 years old now. My 3 upside down catfish came from petsmart. So it seems like there might be a correlation here.   

Currently on 2nd round of prazipro and will finish the anti-biotic treatment tomorrow. 

Edited by FishGuy919

On 4/30/2023 at 12:36 PM, FishGuy919 said:

@Colu Lost another juvenile congo tetra. It seemed fine last night but this morning it was belly up. So the fish I have lost are 5 congo tetras and 1 leopard. They all were juveniles that came from the same LFS. I bought the congos maybe about 4 months ago and the leopard about 5 months ago. 

All my other fish didnt come from that store. The puffer and the ornate are from Dan's fish and my adult leopard is over 8 years old now. My 3 upside down catfish came from petsmart. So it seems like there might be a correlation here.   

Currently on 2nd round of prazipro and will finish the anti-biotic treatment tomorrow. 

Sorry to hear that with medication you have treated with I was hopeful you wouldn't have any more losses was there any redness to the body

On 4/30/2023 at 4:21 PM, Colu said:

Theirs Very litter to go off symptoms wise 

yea, i wonder if it could also be that some fish dont do well with my water's parameters. I have a really low KH, like non-existent KH and the PH drops a bit. Seems like certain types of fish might not be able to handle that stress well.

@Colu so using the API test kit I tested the PH in my tank vs my tap.

tap: 7.6

tank: 6.4

When i change my water I usually do only 10% water changes to prevent fluctuations in PH. Could difference in my tank vs tap be causing issues?

Edited by FishGuy919

On 4/30/2023 at 10:00 PM, FishGuy919 said:

@Colu so using the API test kit I tested the PH in my tank vs my tap.

tap: 7.6

tank: 6.4

When i change my water I usually do only 10% water changes to prevent fluctuations in PH. Could difference in my tank vs tap be causing issues?

With low kH causing your pH to drop I would add some crushed coral to raise your KH I would start by adding half a pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons that will help to keep a stable pH swings in pH can have a negative effect on some sensitive fish  with the small water changes your doing I don't think it would alter that much it's less likely to be the cause it could be a contributing factor 

On 4/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, Colu said:

With low kH causing your pH to drop I would add some crushed coral to raise your KH I would start by adding half a pound of crushed coral per 10 gallons that will help to keep a stable pH swings in pH can have a negative effect on some sensitive fish  with the small water changes your doing I don't think it would alter that much it's less likely to be the cause it could be a contributing factor 

So I'll probably hold off on the crushed coral for now because my Leopard Bush Fish has been in the same water for 8 years and he seems to be doing okay with it. My tank really centers around him because his been in the tank the whole time Ive had it. Once he passes I will def do the crushed coral thing.

I did a PH test before and after a 10% water change. Both were 6.6. So impact on PH from a 10% water change is minimal. I do a few small water changes a week. I think I just need to keep up on my water changes to prevent my PH from dropping too low.

• Like 1