Betta lethargic

AmyAmy

Does not eat, pale, fins rotting away (yesterday they had red tips), Darts to surface for air, lethargic, sits at bottom of tank, heavy breathing, water parameters within range, heater programmed to stay between 72°-78° usually at 77.7°.

Im assuming this is fin rot, but any advice is appreciated.

Edited by AmyAmy

Bettas do best when kept at 80-82  if the temperature fluctuating between 72-78 that can effect a Betta immune system leading to secondary infections such as fin rot what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc as poor water quality can cause some of the other symptoms your seeing @AmyAmy

Edited by Colu

@Colu I didn't write down the water tests but they were all within acceptable range for Bettas, or so what I Googled and found on a few different forums. I can retest and post the results here if that will help more. I do have a new heater coming tomorrow. The tank is only 3.5 gallons, and he has 2 snail tank mates. I do plan on getting him a 10 gallon tank, but I assume I shouldn't transfer him until he gets better?

Thanks

On 3/12/2023 at 1:31 AM, AmyAmy said:

@Colu I didn't write down the water tests but they were all within acceptable range for Bettas, or so what I Googled and found on a few different forums. I can retest and post the results here if that will help more. I do have a new heater coming tomorrow. The tank is only 3.5 gallons, and he has 2 snail tank mates. I do plan on getting him a 10 gallon tank, but I assume I shouldn't transfer him until he gets better?

Thanks

As long as you have zero ammonia nitrite low nitrates below 40ppm and pH below 7.5 your water parameters should be ok for bettas  I would treat him in his current tank  I would do is add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons just remember to only add back in  the amount of salt  you take out so if you do 2 gallon water  add 1 table spoon of salt back in and I would add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal you will need to add one leave per gallon to get a beneficial effect and I would do a course of  maracyn2  @AmyAmy

Edited by Colu