Vietnamese white cloud minnow fry.

Reneenay

I have a bin full of Vietnamese white cloud minnow fry. It's been like 6 weeks since the first ones hatched and they're eating like crazy but they still aren't close to being big enough to take to the pet store for store credit. How long does it usually take them to grow almost full size?

IMG_20230306_132248856.jpg

• Love 1

I would think it could take up to a year. I can't say for certain as I've never bred them and only kept them once.

I was pretty surprised at how small they were once I finally saw them in person. Amazing fish, and I think their small size is a good advantage because they can go in a lot of different setups.

They should be at a good size after 8-10 weeks and then slowly grow to adulthood over that first 6-12 months.

It's been 12 weeks since the first ones hatched and they're getting big but still only about half the size as the mature fish. I previously said they were only 6 weeks old but I looked at my videos and they hatched January 11th. I'm bad with time since I'm retired.🤷🏼‍♀️

Another issue I'm having is the fact that the ones I have in the white bin I set up are not colored up as well as the few left in the tank they were born in. They eat the same and are quite active and look good other than the color. Is it possible it's because I have them in a white bin? The water parameters are good.

Edited by Reneenay
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, Reneenay said:

Another issue I'm having is the fact that the ones I have in the white bin I set up are not colored up as well as the few left in the tank they were born in. They eat the same and are quite active and look good other than the color. Is it possible it's because I have them in a white bin? The water parameters are good.

It could just be that they are subdominant?  does the setup have lights+timer for them?

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 3/17/2023 at 12:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It could just be that they are subdominant?  does the setup have lights+timer for them?

Yes. I have it set for 5 hours in the morning and then off for 4 hours and then on again for 5. So I can spread out the feeding time without killing the few plants I have in with them. Maybe I should just have it on 10 hours straight.

I'm not sure what sub dominant means for fish.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:11 PM, Reneenay said:

Yes. I have it set for 5 hours in the morning and then off for 4 hours and then on again for 5. So I can spread out the feeding time without killing the few plants I have in with them. Maybe I should just have it on 10 hours straight.

I'm not sure what sub dominant means for fish.

Lighting is fine 🙂

Sub dominant just means it's not the brightest fish in the herd.  They tend to be more muted to reduce their stress and visibility.  It takes energy to color as well.  Some will be very bright / intense, others might not be.  It's normal and that could be what you're seeing. sub-dominant just meaning it's not the male fighting for dominance in the group and has given up that role and trying to blend in.

• Thanks 1