ADF Tank Mates

Louise02

On 3/3/2023 at 2:12 AM, Louise02 said:

Thank you.  In the past we always kept ADF with guppies, which really worked beautifully.  Amazingly, I can't find healthy guppies.  Thank you for steering me away from     ADF + mollies.

Adf and mollies can work if there is no salt in the water. Guppies can be tricky.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Piggybacking onto this post to ask about snail tank mates. A Facebook group dedicated to ADF recommends against snails, saying they can amputate froggy limbs 😞 ; have folks in this group found that to be a valid common concern or is this pretty rare? Thank you!

My Mum's ADF has Neons in it. I actually encouraged her NOT to put fish in the tank BECAUSE medicating would become VERY tricky (yes no salt and fish meds may not mix well with them depending) if either needed treatment. A tank full of ADF is a fun thing to see/have. The fish otherwise are no danger to the ADF physically. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I had a single ADF in a 20H community once, and one day I added half a dozen small neon tetra. Within 2 mins I was down to 5 neons, and 1 very full ADF. 

My point is that they're predators, and if the fish are small and slow, they could become frog food. 

I ended up changing to a species only setup, and enjoyed them more. Though along the way I also kept them with some more traditional top-dwellers like endlers and lampeye killis, and that also worked well. 

I've seen ottos sitting on ADF back, and neither seemed to care. And amanos, being larger but really docile with no grabby parts, also get along well with them. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 11:19 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m tickled that you thought of me! 
Apistos, White Clouds, neons, danios, and Endlers work fine. I’m far from an expert !

Yay same, basically the only thing to not keep them with is a large sponge filter,

if they can fit in the intake they will, I have had 1 get lodged, and I had to take it apart, and the other time 1 nearly got stuck, but luckily escaped 

• Like 1

I keep my in a species only tank. They harrassed the snails and I worried they wouldn't get enough to eat with fish. They don't see well. They seem happier just the 5 of them in their own 10 gallon. Free to float up top or hang out on the bottom. I have them in my bedroom because I love to listen to them sing at night!

• Like 1