Snail Identification help

pcc

I always have to look at the quick cheat sheet when I’m looking at pics.  In real life, I can tell on the spot, but with pics I can’t always see it instantly without more than one identifier.  Not all pond snails re as pointy as this pic, but the point aims right vs the point aiming left on bladder snails.  Also the antennae are much blunter and the head wider on pond snails.  Opening of the shell on the right for pond, left for bladders.  I can’t see the antennae in your pic, but 3 out of 4 characteristics say pond snail to me, not bladder snail.

E5298348-BC0B-4A0B-AA71-96ADA3C4C7D5.jpeg

Oh, and good or bad depends on how you feel about snails.  I grow them on purpose in some tanks, rarely have to monitor them in most tanks.  Occasionally get more than I want in some tanks but they’re not that hard to control unless you’re over feeding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:21 PM, Odd Duck said:

I always have to look at the quick cheat sheet when I’m looking at pics.  In real life, I can tell on the spot, but with pics I can’t always see it instantly without more than one identifier.  Not all pond snails re as pointy as this pic, but the point aims right vs the point aiming left on bladder snails.  Also the antennae are much blunter and the head wider on pond snails.  Opening of the shell on the right for pond, left for bladders.  I can’t see the antennae in your pic, but 3 out of 4 characteristics say pond snail to me, not bladder snail.

Oh, and good or bad depends on how you feel about snails.  I grow them on purpose in some tanks, rarely have to monitor them in most tanks.  Occasionally get more than I want in some tanks but they’re not that hard to control unless you’re over feeding.

Thank you @Odd Duck! I learned something!  My LFS sells “pond snails” in their koi lowboy tank that look like giant mystery snails, about the size of a fist, which makes things more confusing for me!

In your photo above, seems like it’s easier to look at the feelers than the shell. (Of course we can’t see the feelers in the pic provided though.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:05 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thank you @Odd Duck! I learned something!  My LFS sells “pond snails” in their koi lowboy tank that look like giant mystery snails, about the size of a fist, which makes things more confusing for me!

In your photo above, seems like it’s easier to look at the feelers than the shell. (Of course we can’t see the feelers in the pic provided though.)

Might be apple snails, Pomacea canaliculata, related to mystery snails Pomacea bridgesii (sometimes also called spike-topped apple snails), but are illegal to be brought into the USA or even moved across state lines since they are invasive.  They’re the ones the have the bright pink egg clusters.  Their egg clusters are toxic and don’t get eaten outside of their native range, and apparently are eaten by only one species of fire ant but not reliably.  They are native to South America - Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Bolivia (thank you google).

Ask them what the species name is next time you’re there.  I’d like to know.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:12 AM, Lennie said:

wait,, pond snails are not plant safe? I didn't know that

If they’re getting enough other food they are unlikely to bother most plants.  No guarantees, though.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, Odd Duck said:

Really appreciate this photo! Now I'm 100% certain I have pond snails 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the help, I am working on removing them, they came in with some plant I purchased from my LFS. I now have 5 dwarf chain loaches which I hope like the taste of pond snails.

Edited by pcc

On 3/3/2023 at 7:19 PM, pcc said:

Thanks so much for the help, I am working on removing them, they came in with some plant I purchased from my LFS. I now have 5 dwarf chain loaches which I hope like the taste of pond snails.

I would expect the loaches will be happy to get them.  Reverse Respiration is an excellent way to make certain you don’t get snails you don’t want next time you order some plants.

https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/24465-reverse-respiration/