Best way to repaint tank rim?

neitherman

I picked up a used 46 gallon bowfront recently and it would be perfect except it has a faux woodgrain texture that I hate. I'd like to paint it black because the stand I intend to purchase for it is black so I'm curious if anyone else has ever done this. I'm not sure what kind of paint would work best in this instance but I assume the steps would be:

1. Scuff the rim with fine grit sandpaper to give the paint more surface area
  2. Apply a primer?
  3. Apply some kind of paint that is waterproof and durable

If anyone out there has any tips I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share them!

20230228_171641.jpg

20230228_171644.jpg

@neitherman I think your steps are solid but would try to keep the paint out of the water line around the recessed lip of the tank in case it leaches toxins into your water. I may just be paranoid about that kind of stuff. Maybe someone can pop up with what kinda of paint that is safe  

I did a quick google search for aquarium safe paint and a bunch of articles came up that might help... 

Edited by PlaneFishGuy
  • Like 1

My first thought is tape off everything and use Krylon Fusion to paint. Maybe since it's the rim and could get scratched use a clear coat too. I'm pretty sure there is a Krylon Fusion clear coat. It's safe if you let it cure for a full seven days. I've used it a good bit to paint PVC and a terracotta pot. 

• Like 1

I used Krylon Fusion to paint my intake tubes and they're submerged. It would be the best choice as it bonds to plastic, which the rim is, and is water safe. Obviously you don't need to do the interior edges, just the outer rim that's visible. Good luck!  I hate those wood grain finished rims, too.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately since I live in an apartment I'd rather not resort to using spray-paint. It seems there are a handful of brush-on paints that could work but the difficulty will be finding them in a store. I think if I use foam brushes to apply the primer/paint I can avoid brush marks and I'll also look into getting a clear coat to protect the finished product/livestock and plants.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:19 AM, neitherman said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately since I live in an apartment I'd rather not resort to using spray-paint. It seems there are a handful of brush-on paints that could work but the difficulty will be finding them in a store. I think if I use foam brushes to apply the primer/paint I can avoid brush marks and I'll also look into getting a clear coat to protect the finished product/livestock and plants.

Ive had good luck on painting glass and avoiding brush marks with a roller and  cover with a cabinet specific nap - especially if you keep the coats light avoid drips you may be able to avoid a brush all together 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WHIZZ-Cabinet-and-Door-2-Pack-6-in-Mini-Foam-Foam-Paint-Roller-Cover/3033668 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WHIZZ-4-in-Foam-Roller-3-Piece-Mini-Paint-Applicator-Kit/3013608 

• Thanks 1

I think I read someone on this forum make a comment about how faux-wood rim tanks are rare because it is an antique.  Maybe thinking about how it is an antique will make you appreciate it and see it as pretty instead of ugly?  But, yeah, I modded a sponge filter's outflow tube from the clear it came with to a black tube so I could maintain my black aesthetic.  So, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I'm just making an alternative suggestion, not trying to be rude or anything.

I repainted a tank rim on a used tank once and found that a spray paint that's made to adhere to plastics works the best.

I used this and it's held up over the years --

Rust-Oleum 211338 Specialty Spray Paint for Plastic, 12 oz, Black

Here is a brush on primer since you're in an apt --

Rust-Oleum 213517T Specialty Plastic Brush On Primer, Quart

Edited by tolstoy21