Neon Tetras breeding in a community tank

Jerry

Hello, 

I have a group of 12 neon tetras in my 60 gallon community tank and just noticed two of them breeding in a corner over a piece of wood covered in java fern, I watched as a couple eggs dropped but have no way of recovering them. I thought neons required soft acidic water to breed but my water isn’t, if I pull out the neons and put them in their own tank would they continue to breed or the stress of moving ruin it. They’re in a tank with tons of cherry and Amano shrimp, Pygmy corys, Kerri tetras, bristle nosed plecos and CPDs so I’m fairly certain the fry have no chance in their current set up.

thanks for the advice,

jerry

• Like 1

I currently have this same conundrum with my Harlequin Rasboras. They are in very hard water, but have laid eggs a couple times despite all information saying they need acidic water. None have survived likely due to being eaten since it's a community tank. Hopefully somebody has some experience with this and can help us both.

Edited by JaredL
  • Like 1

That’s awesome JaredL I’d love to breed Harlequins, I know neons are only a couple dollars but it’d be great to have them successfully breed Because I’ve bought 20 and only ten made it through quarantine so I bought another 15 and only 2 made it through the next time so if I keep on this track they will be my most expensive fish lol I was hoping to have a school of 30-40 so if the eggs can survive in hard water I’d love to separate a few and breed them

• Like 1

I think they can breed in any water they are comfortable in, it's just easier for some to trigger it with softer water. I've never bred tetras but I have seen my neons breeding in the community tank, I have PH +8.0 and 200 hardness.