Snail looks weird… what should I do?

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update... I had ordered 5 pygmy Corydoras and 5 green neon tetras. The Corydoras are doing well, but from day two the tetras started dying. Very frustrating. When the first one died, I put in the med trio. I noticed the cycle wobbled and bacteria bloomed, but it recovered.

I expected all the tetras to die, but one survived. He/she thinks they are a cory cat. They have even started picking at food off the bottom!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 6:59 AM, Sherry said:

I thought I would give an update... I had ordered 5 pygmy Corydoras and 5 green neon tetras. The Corydoras are doing well, but from day two the tetras started dying. Very frustrating. When the first one died, I put in the med trio. I noticed the cycle wobbled and bacteria bloomed, but it recovered.

I expected all the tetras to die, but one survived. He/she thinks they are a cory cat. They have even started picking at food off the bottom!

Bummer about your losses. I am willing to bet it was the stress of shipping.

On 4/23/2023 at 6:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said: I am willing to bet it was the stress of shipping.

I agree. I paid for overnight shipping, but if it was my water, etc., the last one should have died too.

I want to get more to make a small school but my closest fish store doesn’t have any. But I want to wait until they get some to eliminate the shipping stress.IMG_5284.jpeg.20a86b1722014f976950d148f32527ec.jpegIMG_5282.jpeg.54ca897751728a3026b41c1a01ec16f0.jpegIMG_5285.jpeg.f54977d37c6cdc2636e5d83373f27b1d.jpegIMG_5290.jpeg.9b661c98c8a9184a42a1a8e18a04bc21.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 11:20 AM, Sherry said:

099C9D8F-3B76-4EFD-842C-669E3AFF3077.jpeg.f59ed8e25f31008deb5420845bf6e110.jpeg

@Sherry  Darn, I keep forgetting to look at the dates on these posts.  I was going to commend you on the picture of your setup and ask what kind of substrate you decided on.  I joined this forum last month.

So NOW, it's May; I might as well inquire on your tank today.  How'd it go? 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:41 PM, Flipper said:

@Sherry  Darn, I keep forgetting to look at the dates on these posts.  I was going to commend you on the picture of your setup and ask what kind of substrate you decided on.  I joined this forum last month.

So NOW, it's May; I might as well inquire on your tank today.  How'd it go? 

Oh, wow, I scrolled up after I posted and I saw your tank.  (I'm really not learning the forum easily.)  You've already got a little path and a bridge going.  Looks pretty and professional.  Nice job.

• Like 1

My feeling is that your tank simply wasn't/isn't cycled.  Adding 10 pygmy corys and 3 mystery snails to an uncycled tank would have exactly the result you saw.

In general, a tank is going to need an ammonia source to cycle.  I would just slow down, maybe add a single female guppy and wait another month to add anything else (that is what I'm going to do for my next tank).

You should see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

Well, my five Cory cats and one green Tetra are doing good. I went to the Twin Cities for my granddaughter’s college graduation, and found a nice fish store not far from my son’s house - couldn’t resist getting eight more green Tetra. They are finishing out quarantine.

The driftwood was growing something I wasn’t happy with - black beard algae? - so I removed it and bought a stone at the fish store.

IMG_5391.jpeg.0e103d8508555e6ad999a4e523de1152.jpegIMG_5392.jpeg.c6b05315845427c4e52a1074319e4758.jpeg

Edited by Sherry
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sherry said:

Well, my five Cory cats and one green Tetra are doing good. I went to the Twin Cities for my granddaughter’s college graduation, and found a nice fish store not far from my son’s house - couldn’t resist getting eight more green Tetra. They are finishing out quarantine.

The driftwood was growing something I wasn’t happy with - black beard algae? - so I removed it and bought a stone at the fish store.

IMG_5391.jpeg.0e103d8508555e6ad999a4e523de1152.jpegIMG_5392.jpeg.c6b05315845427c4e52a1074319e4758.jpeg

It looks awesome, I love it!

On 5/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, Sherry said:

Do you usually do a second dose of wormer?

I look at their poops. I see if it is brown or white. If white, I’d redose. If brown or whatever color their food is, it’s normal.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 3:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I look at their poops. I see if it is brown or white. If white, I’d redose. If brown or whatever color their food is, it’s normal.

I will look closer. They are so small that it's hard to see.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, Sherry said:

I am getting impatient. Do you usually do a second dose of wormer?

yes, because dewormers dont kill eggs. 

So basically you time the following doses to kill worms when they hatch from eggs but not aged enough to lay further eggs

Also make sure to vac the substrate after medications to clean any potential worms on the bottom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 5:13 PM, Lennie said:

yes, because dewormers dont kill eggs. 

So basically you time the following doses to kill worms when they hatch from eggs but not aged enough to lay further eggs

Also make sure to vac the substrate after medications to clean any potential worms on the bottom

Oh shoot, I forgot about the eggs. Thanks Lennie.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 5:50 PM, Galabar said:

My feeling is that your tank simply wasn't/isn't cycled…. You should see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

I had my tank running with two Mystery snails for several weeks, and all was well. My granddaughters got a tank and betta, so I gave them one of the snails. A couple weeks later my snail started acting reclusive. That’s when I bought the 10 Pygmy Corys and 3 snails. Since I have never had snails before I didn’t know what to expect. I knew my water was wonky but no matter what I did it didn’t get better.

Now I realize my one snail must have died and was poisoning the tank before I added the others. Live and learn.

Edited by Sherry

I went to a local Aquarium Swap. I hadn’t planned to buy any fish, but I ended up get three male guppies.

I put them in my quarantine tank, and what do I see? Red things. They aren’t moving but I’m guessing they are worms. I have the med trio, but not Expel-P (Levamisole).

What should I do first?IMG_5437.jpeg.05a8ec794a5994d821c35c090adc69c8.jpegIMG_5436.jpeg.ba4e25d044ec11c2b66abe53088190f0.jpeg

On 5/22/2023 at 6:47 AM, Sherry said:

I went to a local Aquarium Swap. I hadn’t planned to buy any fish, but I ended up get three male guppies.

I put them in my quarantine tank, and what do I see? Red things. They aren’t moving but I’m guessing they are worms. I have the med trio, but not Expel-P (Levamisole).

What should I do first?IMG_5437.jpeg.05a8ec794a5994d821c35c090adc69c8.jpegIMG_5436.jpeg.ba4e25d044ec11c2b66abe53088190f0.jpeg

Internal worms are pretty common in livebearers. They might be Camallanus worms? 

You gotta use levamisole at least 4 times and keep vacuuming substrate.

Tagging @Colu to make sure I am not misleading

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, Lennie said:

Internal worms are pretty common in livebearers. They might be Camallanus worms? 

You gotta use levamisole at least 4 times and keep vacuuming substrate.

Tagging @Colu to make sure I am not misleading

Have you been feeding them with a food that could make their poop red @Sherry

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 3:24 AM, Galabar said:

They showed up later (after adding the fish)?

Yes. The tote was completely clean and sanitized.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:08 AM, Colu said:

Have you been feeding them with a food that could make their poop red @Sherry

I just got them yesterday afternoon. There was nothing in the bag the seller had them in. I have just hatched some baby brine shrimp so fed them some of those.

I am new to the fish club, but I have the ability to message them, so I will ask if anyone has any ideas.

Edited by Sherry

On 5/22/2023 at 1:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Are we sure that is not just fecal matter?  It could just be the coloration from their food.

That what am thinking I don't think that's camallanus worms I think it's poop with the colour of the last food they had before you got them @Sherry

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 6:24 PM, Sherry said:

I asked one of club members and he also thought it was poop. Whew! 😅 

Oh well, I ordered Expel-P last night, but it won’t hurt to have it in my fish first aid kit.

Thank you everyone.

Still, I would use it if I were you. Normally I’m not a huge fan of direct quarantine.

I got me 3 guppies today too. They will be getting levamisole for sure just in case

I think you did the right thing buying it

also that fish looks insanely colorful! Can u share more pics please?

• Like 1