Fish in distress

With my experiance when I see a fish on their back trouble breathing, they die with in a few hours. I don't know if there is much that can be done. What probably happend was that he/ she injured their swim bladder. This can be caused by trying to jump out of the aquarium. I wouldn't try to add airation because gouramis have a labrynth organ, meaning that they dont get oxygen from the water but that they go up to the surface for oxygen. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, James Black said:

With my experiance when I see a fish on their back trouble breathing, they die with in a few hours. I don't know if there is much that can be done.. 

I agree.

7 minutes ago, James Black said:

What probably happend was that he/ she injured their swim bladder. This can be caused by trying to jump out of the aquarium. I wouldn't try to add airation because gouramis have a labrynth organ, meaning that they dont get oxygen from the water but that they go up to the surface for oxygen. 

I disagree with all of this. IMO its a big jump to say this is probably a swim bladder issue, we should know water parameters, diet, tank conditions before making a judgment like that.

Aeration would definitely help, they also have gills and if it's on the bottom that's the only way it is getting oxygen..

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The parameters were off for sure I did like a 60 percent water change. They’re diet is community flakes from extreme sometimes pellets and sometimes live baby brine. The tank in my opinion is decently planted and as far as I notice there isn’t any aggression with there tank mates either.but the crazy thing is right after I posted the original post the same fish was back and swimming normal even before I did the water change

• Like 1

I had a similar situation with a gourami just like yours. I found him laying in the exact position you have pictured, bent and stiff. I too chalked it up as a bladder issue. The little guy I had would be active for an hour or so, then lay on the gravel or plant leaves as if he was tired/out of breath. I tried separating him but he eventually passed.

There is something called Dwarf Gourami disease. I thought maybe this could help?

Dwarf-Gourami-Disease-Guide.png
HELPUSFISH.COM

So many fishes have died because the hobbyist did not know enough.  Simple tricks could have prevented the death of these fishes. This is quite [...]

• Thanks 1