Rummy Nose Rasbora's

Xr4tiCrew

On 2/21/2023 at 9:37 AM, tolstoy21 said:

@Xr4tiCrew I've been keeping and breeding these. What questions do you have?

I would like to add them to my 20g long (once I am done with dosing my tank with ich-x) where I have some ember tetras, a honey gurami and one scarlet badis. Are they a hardy fish? One of the local lfs here got some in last week and would like to pick some up. 

Edited by Xr4tiCrew
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:01 PM, Xr4tiCrew said:

I would like to add them to my 20g long (once I am done with dosing my tank with ich-x) where I have some ember tetras, a honey gurami and one scarlet badis. Are they a hardy fish? 

I've been keeping them in the following two conditions for past year and have had no issues with them yet. 

As for being 'hardy', not sure. I keep my tanks pretty clean and free of nitrates, etc.  So I can't comment on how they would do in an aquarium where the water had more nitrates or a build up organic waste.  But in general, my feeling is, yes they are.

From what I have read they can withstand, and actually appreciate lower temps, like down to 68-70F. And they do appreciate some hardness to the water (fry won't hatch if it's under 20dGh). But they can handle a wide range of Ph and and temps in my experience. I've had mine at 78F for a year now.

I keep about a dozen in a 20g high. My personal fish are in a much larger community tank. 

I must admit, I get greedy with these fish. Every time I go to put them up for sale, I move them to my personal tank instead! 🙂 They are very nice and they are daily breeders, so they don't  produce enormous batches of fry in one go. 

My Params

Breeding and fry tanks

Ph 7.2ish
dGH: 20-25
dKh: 1 - 2
Temp: 78F

Grow out tanks and my personal aquarium

Ph 6.6 - 6.8ish
dGH: 8
dKh: 0
Temp: 78F

Edited by tolstoy21