Shrimp tank clear up

NanotankBank

Hello, so in my 5gal nano no tech shrimp tank. My water has been very yellow from the tannins of the wood, I’ve been trying to slowly clear it up with water changes over the weeks, but only doing 10% water changes doesn’t seem to be helping much. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can clear my water up without affecting my shrimp?

I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless it’s altering your parameters drastically or you absolutely hate looking at it, it actually has been said to carry some beneficial properties as well. Water changes help a lot, I’ve also heard of people using carbon to remove tannins, I would assume it’s short term shrimp safe although I would fact check that just to be sure as I’ve never done it personally. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 9:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

Purigen in a hang on filter will clear it and keep it looking clear. 

Unfortunately this is a no filter setup lol

On 2/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless it’s altering your parameters drastically or you absolutely hate looking at it, it actually has been said to carry some beneficial properties as well. Water changes help a lot, I’ve also heard of people using carbon to remove tannins, I would assume it’s short term shrimp safe although I would fact check that just to be sure as I’ve never done it personally. 

I’m not worried about the tannins themselves. Just the tint of water makes it harder to see and I wanted to clear it up

On 2/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, Furbs said:

Little late now, but is taking out the tannin source and boiling or soaking it separately an option?  Water changes and that are the quickest way but the water changes may negatively impact the shrimps. 

Not really an option. Got plants glued to it and it’s kinda the centerpiece design with everyone built around it. Might just have to bite the bullet and continue doing 10% water changes a week until it becomes clear