This is a familiar setup lol. I have a few 10 gallons lined up like that in my garage that were purchased during the 50% sale.

I like the lids, that looks much better than the greenhouse paneling in using. Especially because you have the two pieces that can slide. The notes in fry erase marker is a good idea too... may have to copy that.

One thing I've found is that if the tanks are up against each other the heat transfers between them. You may be able to get away with only having heaters in the outside tanks.

Also be careful of the light from the window. I cooked a batch of fry but realizing that there was a gap that let in direct sun.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Cories laid eggs!! I picked up 5 Cory cats a couple weeks and have had them in quarantine for that time. Just went out to check on them and found eggs on the glass. 
IMG_5220.jpeg.02f9bd13685491c31142293efae00f4a.jpeg

I made a quick setup to keep the eggs safe. Found a few missing. Pretty sure the Endlers were snacking. 
IMG_5223.jpeg.715c67127b03f442231d6667fc635355.jpeg

anyone have an idea what kind of Cory these are?

IMG_5222.jpeg.b6e7ad02f185c7dff2ca47bcf252c856.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:18 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I think they're corydoras paleatus. I have a few.

Thanks! Looked them up and that’s exactly what they look like. 

On 11/3/2023 at 12:01 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Definitely Palaeatus! I’ve got a couple of juvies on the go in my fry tank: 

(Shrimp for size) 

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4023.jpeg

They take about 4 days to hatch and another 2 days to become free swimming- I fed them with sera micron. 

First time with an egg laying fish. If they do happen to hatch, I’m assuming it would be wise to keep the fry separate from other fish so they don’t become snacks?

On 11/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, jasper5150 said:

Thanks! Looked them up and that’s exactly what they look like. 

First time with an egg laying fish. If they do happen to hatch, I’m assuming it would be wise to keep the fry separate from other fish so they don’t become snacks?

Definitely. I kept mine in a breeding box for 2 weeks before moving them to a fry/shrimp tank where theyre growing along with ca. 150 danio fry.

1 month is about the ok age to add them to the adult tank - common sense is a useful tool tho

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:54 PM, jasper5150 said:

@TheSwissAquarist thank you so much for the advice! Im thinking of getting a small net breeder to put in the tank. Keep them away from the adults and still have some flow

I’ve done that and it works ok, but food tends to fall through the bottom, as they’re made more for livebearer fry than Cory fry. I’ve had a couple of dud batches that way. I use the Fluval breeder box and siphon the bottom with a pipette. It also saves you from having to do water changes with a brine shrimp strainer over the end of the hose. 😄

IMG_3637.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

The eggs I pulled from the tank ended up turning to fuzz balls.  Don’t think they were even fertilized, not sure though. Oh well, was a quick learning experience. The cories have been in here close to three weeks. They seem to be doing great. No signs of illness, cruising around and searching the substrate like normal. Think it’s time to move them to the Endler tank. Give them so much more room to explore plus a sandier substrate to sift through. 

On 11/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, jasper5150 said:

The eggs I pulled from the tank ended up turning to fuzz balls.  Don’t think they were even fertilized, not sure though. Oh well, was a quick learning experience. The cories have been in here close to three weeks. They seem to be doing great. No signs of illness, cruising around and searching the substrate like normal. Think it’s time to move them to the Endler tank. Give them so much more room to explore plus a sandier substrate to sift through. 

I’ve been putting small amounts of meth blue in my egg container. It’s brought 90% fungus rate down to practically 0%.

• 2 months later...

The Cory’s have been moved into the 29 gallon so they have more room. Seem to like all the plants and rocks to hide in. Still have a crazy amount of fish in all three tanks. Not a lot of interest in Endlers!?  I’ll just keep them happy and healthy until I can find them homes. IMG_5435.jpeg.61ff9161af7e680d899eceb83ee4c39f.jpegIMG_5434.jpeg.b31287c7cb07275f90b4ffc5d3a6b067.jpegIMG_5433.jpeg.1bef1e14f26a511316ec37e954430cc1.jpeg

• Love 1